House color.

We have bought a big old home ( more like a square victorian) . Currently it is white ( very chipped up though) ...

We are getting siding on it next month and have it down to 2 colors : my choice and my husbands choice.

I want a light, bright yellow ( with alot of white trim and a red door) ... My husband wants a sage green witht eh same white trim and red door.

We live in a small town, and our home is right in town ... almost every house is brick or white with black shutters ... there are 2 other yellow houses in town, one is a golden yellow , and the other is super light ( almost looks white and it has blue trim) ....

there is also 2 of the same green houses in town BUT to me those other houses make it seem more "cheap" ... we looked at both of the houses because the same guy fixed them up and used that color ( we would also have to worry about if he buys other houses closer to us, he would use the same color ) ... but they were very cheaply done .. and I just think people would think our house is one of his houses also. Not to mention I already have 2 rooms that are going to be that same color inside, and I think that would be too much.

I also think the yellow is more of a timeless classic color... our home is a vintage home and we like that fact...

which would you chose ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I like the sage. Dh and I want to re-do ours and have sage siding.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:07 PM on May. 1, 2011

• But if there was a slumlord buying old houses and "fixing them up " and using that color for each on he bought ( he plans on buying more so there is a good chance one could be even closer to us) ... would you still want the same color ?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:11 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I like both but if you are set on yellow I would get an antique yellow nothing too pastel, maybe a cornmeal colour. It will look real nice I am trying to picture a red door? I guess you will be looking at what shade of red ya want also for that. GL.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:38 PM on May. 1, 2011

• At first I read yellow and thought that was good, but then I thought about sage green and thats what I would choose! I think it would be gorgeous and slightly different than the typical yellow house. As far as the other houses being green...well...I would probably want different colors than them...tough call!
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 4:49 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Yellow definitly! My parents house is sage and is soooo drab. My sister did Yellow with white trim & it always looks fresh and new!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:46 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I have that yellow and love it but green is my fav color. But it sounds as if your heart is set on yellow so go with yellow.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 8:13 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I am pretty sure we are going to go with yellow... my husband likes hte yellow too, that is what he wanted first... but then when we seen the green houses, he liked it - but green is his favorite color ...

I mean I really do like the green color too and I think if he really wanted it he could talk me into it... but i also think we would get tired of it faster too ... I just automatically think of how most people in the 60s thought that green color looked so good in homes ( like the carpet and the appliances) ... this is a color our house will be for hopefully the next 30 years or so...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:26 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I would go with the Sage Green. It hides the dirt and fades to a claiming earth tone color.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 6:28 AM on May. 4, 2011