Does your employer require you to give a reason why you want time off work?

Do you have to give them a reason why or does it matter? Or do you have to give them a reason?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 4:27 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have not ever given a reason unless I wanted to. I have not been asked.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 6:19 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Beyond knowing if it is for a personal day or a sick day, I wouldn't ask an employee...although usually the person ends up talking about it. That doesn't mean it should be a hidden reason or anything, just "Our fridge is supposed to be delivered between 10 and 2...love that they don't give me an actual time" or "the kids were up all night throwing up"...but to actually ask, I don't.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:56 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Most employers ask for a reason now days. Even though I really don't think it is any of their business it does make sense from an employer’s point of view.

Many people are asking to take off work for many different reasons. One may ask for time off due to a family emergency. Family emergency could be for surgery, funeral, and sick loved one and so on. So when you have many asking at the same times for time off the employer has to take in consideration of which one is more important and go from there.
    A522R

Answer by A522R at 5:02 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Unless I take leave I have to give a reason.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:29 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Yes, usually you have to give a reason. The trick is to give them such an excuse, they really don't want to hear more. Personally I have found the old "explosive diarrhea" to being the best 'Say No More' excuse!
    pinwheel

Answer by pinwheel at 4:35 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I never have to give a reason, however I am good friends with my boss and coworkers and they are snooopy as hell lol.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 4:36 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Every employer I have had always wanted to know why.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:37 PM on May. 1, 2011

• yes, i have always given a reason without being asked what it was. so im not really sure if my past employers wanted to know or not. but i cant imagine, in a professional atmosphere, calling up my boss and saying "hey i can't make it today" and him or her just saying "okay" lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:48 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Nope! If I want to take time off work I just have to submit a form telling what day and how many hours I will need off I don't need to give a reason why I need that time off. (and my employer could care less what the reasons are).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:27 PM on May. 1, 2011

• When I worked I never had to give a reason why I needed time off.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:31 PM on May. 1, 2011