What to do when my child with autism has a tantrum how to handle him

TMS28

Asked by TMS28 at 4:51 PM on May. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• where? Is it a true tantrum or sensory overload?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:52 PM on May. 1, 2011

• i dont know he crys scream and throw himself on the ground
    TMS28

Comment by TMS28 (original poster) at 4:56 PM on May. 1, 2011

• If you're out,leave
    at home,put him somewhere where he can't hurt himself or anything. tell him in a calm voice that you'll help him when he calms down. Is he in school? Does he get therapy?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:05 PM on May. 1, 2011

• if my son has a meltdown when we are out in public we leave and go home. If we are at home I send him to his room to calm down and I leave him alone and then later when he is calm we talk about it and see what triggered the meltdown. If we are at a relative's house I will ask the relative what room we can use- and I put him in there to calm down and then I make sure no one bothers him. Then when he is calm we talk about it.
    One thing you can do is think back to what he was doing right before he started in screaming and see if you can figure out what set him off. If it is something you can change (example-- radio is too loud) then make whatever changes/modifications you need to (example- keep radio at lower setting) in order to "hopefully" prevent that same meltdown in the future.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:11 PM on May. 1, 2011

• i can calm him down but where out he wont walk or anything
    TMS28

Comment by TMS28 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I have a book that sounds like a great item for you to have to gain the knowledge you need in helping your child. You can try renting it at the library or buying it if you find it helps.

THE EVERYDAY ADVOCATE: Standing Up For Your Autistic Child Book
    http://jamericanspice.blogspot.com/2011/04/giveaway-everyday-advocate-standing-up.html
    calliemist

Answer by calliemist at 5:33 PM on May. 1, 2011

• When a child living with autism has a melt down it is not like other children. You can't just talk reasonably or wait a few minutes. My friend's child will tantrum for hours. Sensory over load is a big triiger. If he is safe I say that is all that matters at first. If you have an OT or other specialist I find them helpful in making specific suggestions for your child. I also think understanding triggers are an important factor in avoiding major meltdowns. But truthfully some rages can't be avoided because their body has had it. We can't imagine what they are feeling in their body. My thought is support groups, professional team advice, and you know your child better than anyone. Compassion and head phones work wonders. Letting him safely let go until more specific assistance is the best I can come up with. How hard for him. And how hard for you to watch/hear his hurt.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:01 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Good luck.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 1:06 PM on May. 3, 2011