Has anyone ever heard of a newborn having a abscess on rectum>

if so how does a baby get that and what will they do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be blockage of a gland
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 5:01 PM on May. 1, 2011

• An abscess is caused from bacteria which gets into a pore or follicle. I have had them, and they suck. They usually occur when a naturally present bacteria on the skin gets into the follicles through a break in the skin. For adults, this is commonly caused by shaving, waxing etc... in an infant, I would imagine a small abrasion in the rectal area caused by diaper rash could have easily allowed bacteria inside. Place warm rags over it to bring it to a head. DO NOT SQUEEZE IT. Doing so may force bacteria deeper into the skin and lead to additional abscesses later. Eventually, it should soften and rupture. At this time, it will likely ooze a pus colored or amber colored liquid. You can apply VERY GENTLE pressure when it's already opened to ensure proper drainage. Keep the child's butt and surrounding areas clean and dry and do all you can prevent diaper rash and other breaks in the skin. When drainage occurs, wipe...con'd
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 5:19 PM on May. 1, 2011

• the fluid carefully and do all you can to avoid letting it touch other areas of the skin. It is HIGHLY contagious and may cause additional abscesses if it comes in contact with vulnerable areas of skin. Wash any towels, bandages, etc... which touches the fluid in hot water. Once it drains, the abscess will likely heal quickly. Cover it with a bandaid if you can to prevent the fluid from spreading. Very large abscesses, those with become very infected, or if you are baby seems to be in extreme pain... see a doctor. He or she may lance it (open it up using a medical knife so drainage will occur). They never did this for me. You may also wash the area with hibiclens or something similar to kill any surrounding bacteria, but please ask a pharmacist if you can do this on a baby's delicate skin. You can also use neosporin once it has drained to speed healing. If more abscesses occur, call a doctor because it can signal poor immunity
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 5:22 PM on May. 1, 2011

• That's IF it is an abscess of course. If you have any doubt, speak with your doctor. ESPECIALLY if your baby has a fever or any other worrisome symptoms. Good luck. Those things hurt like a mother F******!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 5:24 PM on May. 1, 2011

• you would really want to talk to a doc about that because there is a possiblity that it could be a staff infection
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:34 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Most abscesses ARE staph infection. Staph is actually present on our skin at all times. They are usually not dangerous unless they are recurrent or severely infected since that could signal MRSA or that you have a compromised immune system. When I'm pregnant, something about the hormones causes me to get them on the thighs. I rushed off the doctor with the first one all nervous about staph and MRSA...and they just told me to wash it and gave me some pills, which I never took because they are only minimally helpful with skin infections. OP, if it's extremely red surrounding the abscess or if it seems very large or severely painful to your child, I would go to the doctor as soon as you can. Washing with hibiclens (which is found in most pharmacies, but again, make sure it won't damage baby's skin!) was the only thing which kept them at bay until I delivered. Love that stuff!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:42 PM on May. 2, 2011