If you.. ?

if you were a doctor/vet and determined who lived and died in these certain situations, what would your judgment be?

1: a family pet has cancer and there is no cure for this type, would you suggest to put the animal to sleep so it doesn't further suffer sever pains (to the point of it not walking, not eatting, etc)?

2: An elderly man has emphysema. He's on breathing life support, no chance to recover, won't qualify for a transplant, and no family members. The breathing machine is the only thing keeping him alive, and he's basically in a a coma like state now. When do you pull the plug?

3: A woman is in the hospital with bleeding. She is pregnant with twins. Twin 1 has no heart beat, and while still attached is otherwise gone. Twin 2 has very faint heart beat that is fading out because twin 1 is creating toxins and basically killing his sibling. The mother is hemorraging, and her body is starting to take in the toxins and is bordering on going into shock. She is 10 weeks pregnant. Do you do an emergency abortion to save the mother, or let them all die?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 5:10 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I believe in human euthanasia if they have made that choice themselves while they were still of sound mind. As far as 'pulling the plug', not sure if it counts or not, but while my DH was not on life support, he was dying unless he went to the hospital for another blood transfusion. I had power of attorney and respected his wishes - an ambulance was not called. He passed away at home surrounded by family. This does not make me a murderer - he already had terminal cancer.

I would put a pet with an incurable cancer to sleep. As for the woman, it would be her choice, not the doctor's. If I were the woman in that situation I would have the abortion to keep from dying. If I die, they die anyway, and it would mean my living children left without their mother.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:37 PM on May. 1, 2011

• As a vet or a doctor, those choices aren't mine to make. It's the pets owners or the families. Not mine. If the family chooses, after taking all of the options into consideration. No, they aren't murderers, they are doing what they believe along with the caring doctor/vet is the best choice. They are putting their loved ones out of their misery.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:19 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Regarding #1-yes but I wouldn't put it to sleep until it showed obvious signs of pain or something.
    Regarding #2-I would never pull the plug.
    Regarding #3-When I was pregnant I had to sign papers that would tell the hospital whether to save my life if it was in danger or try to save my baby's life if at all possible. That way, it took the stress of "choosing" off of the doctor.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 5:17 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Number one, put the animal to sleep, peaceful. My daughter and I had to make a decision, her cat had kidney disease. Number two, is tough, because there is no family. If the MSN showed any distress or discomfort, i feel like he'd have the right to go peacefully. Number three. I would try yo save the mother, she could hopefully conceive again or adopt later. If she had other children, they'd need s mom.
    It's no murder, it tough decisions that families have to make everyday. My Grandfather had to make the decision to let me Grandma go. I'll never forget that day, but she was suffering and already gone. Machines keeping her slive is no life.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 5:58 PM on May. 1, 2011

• does any of these make you as the doctor or vet a murderer? does it make the family on question one a murderer if they agree? if there was family available for the elderly man and they agreed it was time to pull the plug, are they murderers? IF the woman agrees to the abortion, is she a murderer?
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 5:12 PM on May. 1, 2011

• FINALLY sensible answers!!!

I've had 3 posts earlier where I made a suggestion to either ditch calling all mothers who've had abortions murderers, or to be more specific and exclude mothers who were in situations like question 3 that I posted above. Instead I got called all kinds of names on top of being called a murderer because I was the mother in situation number 3. I would never DREAM of calling anyone a murderer for these situations ever.
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 7:03 PM on May. 1, 2011