When you want or need time off work how much notice does your employer require?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 5:18 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• it highly depends on your employer and their policies. i work in an extremely relaxed and laid back environment.
    example: if my kid wakes up puking, I text someone and tell them I won't be in.
    On the flip side, in April, I scheduled for 3 days off in May. (I will take vacation days) - May 18 for my DD's field trip, May 26 for my DS's birthday, and May 27th...just because it's a Friday!

it all depends. if I know i need days off in advance, i try to inform them as soon as I know - but no later than a week in advance. I try not to conflict with other people's schedules.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 1:56 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I work from home, so if an emergency came up I could just close up and that be that, but I would still have to make sure all my orders were filled.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 5:54 PM on May. 1, 2011

• In an emergency or if something unexpected happens we can call that day and ask for it off. Ideally they would like at least 1-2 days notice though to coordinate work schedules and such.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:21 PM on May. 1, 2011

• In an emergency or sick day there is no notice then the morning or when it comes up. For vacations of a week or more I try to schedule them in January for the year. A day here or there it may be the day before just depends on the work load.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 6:21 PM on May. 1, 2011

• In all the places I've worked, it has depended more on staffing requirements than policy. For instance, when I worked the checkout desk at the public library, we had to have a certain number of people in the facility so we had to work out our vacation time way in advance. Other jobs, I've just given a days notice depending on my meeting schedule.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:52 AM on May. 2, 2011

• depends on your employer and when the schedule is made
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 6:32 PM on May. 1, 2011

• You will get more leeway if you arrange for your responsibilities to be covered while you are out.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:41 PM on May. 1, 2011