First pregnancy and clueless. Am I in labor?

Yesterday I lost my mucous plug. This morning at 2am I woke up to go to the batheroom and had a bloody show (I think...) and I've been having contractions ever since. They haven't been real regular, 10 minutes apart here...5 minutes apart there....back to 10 minutes.

I've been reading my What to expect book, and it tells me that if I had a bloody show, labor could be days away, but would I still be having these contractions? And it also said that it could be caused by an internal exam within 48 hours, and I had one yesterday. The contractons are in my lower abdomen, like a period cramp. (Let me tell you, I certainly haven't missed having cramps! LOL)

Should I call the doctor, even though my contractions aren't regular? Also, I have TONS of things to do, if this baby is really coming, is it ok to go out and run errands or should I stay at home in bed?

Born2BAMommy5

Asked by Born2BAMommy5 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would tell the doctor whats going on it could be days away but you could be ready to go.
    god bless you and your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• It sounds like you may be in labor, I assume you are full term since you're not freaking out? Were you dilated at all when your dr did your exam? They can cause some bloody discharge, but they can also cause real labor too. With my second they stripped my membranes and roughed things up a bit in there on my last exam to try and encourage labor since he was getting so big. It helped. No reason to stay in bed, and if you feel okay it's fine to run errands but I would suggest staying close to home/hospital and taking your bag with you just in case. I had those kind of come and go contractions for a few hours with my first before they became steady.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You are probably not in labor but could be in the first stages did your doctor do what they call strippping you membrane at your last appt
    just continue with your normal routine
    if you continue to spot more than enough to fill a light pad then call your doctor
    if your contractions become more on a regular pattern and consistant time apart or if your water breaks the call your doctor

when my doctor stripped my membranes i felt the same way for a few hours but then it went away

your body is probably getting ready for labor by thinning of your cervix or you could be dialiating a little this is all normal
    keep us informed on how you are doing
    garricksmommy

Answer by garricksmommy at 9:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Get out and get moving! It's the only way to move things a long. You can take a bit of tylenol for the cramps. Don't get too far away from home though. . . Just in case.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Thank you to eveyone who answered and told me to go to the doctor! I delivered a healthy 7lb 5.9oz, 20 in long baby boy named Brayden Alexander that night at 11:25pm.

I went to the doctor and he told me that I wasn't going to have the baby that day, but I should go and get some blood work done, cause my blood pressure was a little high. So I did that, and then the nurse checked to see if I was dialating more because my contractions were so bad, and I was at 3cm. The took me up to Labor and Delivery and after about 6 hours of contractions, a one sided epidural and only 5 pushes, out he came! And the doctor that delivered my son was the same one that told me 8 hours earlier that I wasn't going to have him that day! (And he's the one getting the big bucks?!)

But all is well, baby is great, Mom is sore, but enjoying being a Mommy and I couldn't be happier!

So, thanks again for all your advice!!
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2008