Should I get induced? I'm feeling guilty.

I'm getting my membranes stripped at my doctor's appointment tomorrow if I've started dilating and effacing. I was still pretty closed up at 37 weeks, but have been having a lot of cramping and contractions for the past 2 weeks so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Anyway, IF I've made some progress and IF the stripping of my membranes doesn't work, we've talked about inducing at 39.3 weeks (Wednesday). I'm still undecided on this.

My preferred labor would be a natural one; where I'm free to walk around, get into the tub, basically do whatever feels right at the time, and I know that wouldn't be the case with induction. There is no medical reason for me to be induced. My husband works 10 hour days with a 3 hour commute total added on to that (so 13hrs away from home) for 8 days straight. After his 8 days on, he has 6 off. We have a 2 year old and I'm honestly very nervous about being up all night with the baby and then managing the two of them during the day all by myself, at least for the first week when we're still trying to adjust. The doctor told me that she'd be fine with inducing me this Wednesday so that I'd have the baby just in time for my husband's 6 days off. I know it's selfish, but I feel like I really need that extra help. I don't want either of my children to get less attention than they could be getting, especially my toddler who will be adjusting to the baby.

What would you do in my position, or have you been in a similar position and have advice?

ours

Asked by ours at 6:42 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was induced with my last two babies for selfish reasons you can say. I have 5 kids and I had to make sure I had family down to help take care of the kids and all of that. I did have GD which was the official reason they did induce me at 39 weeks with #5 but the Dr knew on my first visit I had to be induced.

As long as you ask them for lets say a Gel insert you can still do all the things you want to. If you are progressing enough that alone would kick start your labor. Also popping your water bag would give you the ability to do more, you just I dont think could get in the tub? It is only when you are hooked to Pitocin where you really are limited. Talk to the doctor about your options & explain you want to be free to do these things & they can work with you. If they wont, wait for it to come on naturally.

Answer by gemgem at 6:46 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I was in your position and chose to wait it out. I ended up being induced at 42 weeks anyways, which worked out for us. If baby isn't ready... I'd wait. Jmo. Your little one isn't ready, do why force them out early?!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:53 PM on May. 1, 2011

• i had pitocin with my second and i walked around.....have you had pitocin before?.....that crap hurts and is the worst i dont want it this time around but i have gd so if she dont come by 39 weeks they are going to induce me :( that crap hurts id much rather labor without it
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 7:17 PM on May. 1, 2011

• @gemgem - My doctor said that we would try the gel inserts first, so I'm hoping that they are enough! I didn't know you can walk around after your water breaks? Wouldn't that be awkward with it continuously coming out?

@mama2my2boys - You can walk around with pitocin? I thought you had to be hooked up the entire time.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 7:35 PM on May. 1, 2011

• i was induced with my first at 41w3d, and it was horrible..now i dont have another labor to compare it to other than other ppl's but everyone says that when your induced, its worse than if you were to go into labor naturally..i really want to do it naturally this time, and i honestly believe within myself if i wasnt induced it woudnt have been that bad..but i didnt have a choice..if i had a choice id wait until it got to the point where baby didnt want to come out at all..like the 42 week mark..its hard, but i really believe that labor will not be that bad if you were to go into it naturally, rather than forcing your body to do it..
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 7:38 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I was induced at 6 days overdue with my second and I would NEVER do it again. He was no ready to come out. If I could go back I would go al the way to 42 weeks before inducing. If you are feeling guilty now, just wait it out. It's only a few days compared to the rest of your life. I know it sucks to be prego in the end, but just be strong and stick it out. You;ll be glad you did.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 7:54 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Ok I do have to share MY perosonal experience(s) . I've done natural, induction, and C-section. Induction did NOT hurt any more or less than natural labor. don't let them scare you with that. You're experience with it will be yours everyone tolerates it differently. Yes pitocin is hooked thru an IV, but it is mobile. You can walk around with it and do what feels right at the time. If it's too intense have them turn it down. I wouldn't do an induction without medical necessity, but then again my husband was only 30 minutes away. If you feel guilty don't do it. However I won't fault you if you do it so daddy can have some bonding time with the new baby before heading out to work again. Good Luck whatever your choice.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:02 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I would do it. My 3rd was induced for pretty much the same reason - my ex was home from work for a little while to help out. She was induced at 37 weeks and had no problems. The labor for me was not any worse, harder, faster, etc. than either of my first two. I think you'll be fine!

Answer by missanc at 9:28 PM on May. 1, 2011

• i was induced at 38 weeks and it was cuz of my bp was way up.. they used the gels on me too and then they had to do the potocin it hurt soo bad i thought there was no worse pain i could experiance. i was able to get up and walk around and do wat i needed but i was still hookd up to the potocin all i had to do was buzz the nurse but when i got the epidural i was completly bed bound...when they broke my water my labor progressed rather quickly my water was broken at 6am my dd was born at 12 ..this time around if i have the choice i would do it soo different id go into labor naturally which is what im hopeing for this time not so sure im ready to go 100% natural but i think ill hold off on the epidural longer this time too!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:41 PM on May. 1, 2011