Hypothetically..?

hypothetically lets say you have the power to make this decision about this person:

a mother is dying. She's 10 weeks pregnant and the baby has no hope of survival regardless. Are you so against abortion you would allow the mother to die? Does that not make YOU the murderer then? Or is it only okay to call the mother a murderer because SHE made the choice to live to care for her living children. Is your cause so great you would allow her to die just because you are against abortion?

so if my decision was so offensive to you, lets give you the power hypothetically... could you live with your decision if you said to not treat the mother and allowed her to die just to prevent her from having the "abortion".. remember the baby isn't going to live regardless there is no hope for the baby.

lets say you have a 15 year old daughter and she is dying and YOU are her mother.. do you go with the procedure to safe your daughter knowing there is no hope for her baby or do you say, let them both die?
or lets say shes 24, married, has one kid at home, hubbies away over seas. if she choose to save herself for her child at homes sake, could you look her in the eyes and call her a murderer.. or is that distasteful? if its distasteful, why do it to anyone?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 7:31 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• You're welcome. I truly think that if people knew your situation, they'd be much more understanding. When people say abortion is murder, I think about 99% of them are referring to when mothers actually have a choice. You did not have a choice. I don't say I'm "against medically unnecessary abortions" verbatim, but I do point out almost always that I'm against them with the exception of those that are medically necessary. Sadly, I get told that I am not truly pro-life then. The pro-lifers that are against abortion without any exception are the nutty ones.The fact is, most women that have abortions were not in your situation and they give the ones who were a bad name. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. :(
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:22 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Oh good Lord I am so sick and tired of people trying to make pro-life people look like demonic morons. There are very few of us who would say that women in those circumstances are "murderers" and I am certainly not one of them.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:41 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I would give her the power of choice and be thankful she still has one.

EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 7:38 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I had a feeling this wasn't "hypothetical"....there's always a teeny weeny amount of truth behind every "hypothetically..". Sorry you've been called a murderer and worse, but to answer your question, no, I would not call you a murderer. If you understand the circumstances, and your comfortable with your choice, then that is that. If your sick of being called things like that (if it pertains to here on CM), modify what you post, or who you tell. It's kind of like...either keep it to yourself, or risk being called names. That's just life! It's ugly out there. I can promise you that posts like this only stir the pot, they won't change the minds of people who are so strong set in their beliefs that they called you a murderer to begin with, know what I mean? Stay strong and carry on!
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 7:53 PM on May. 1, 2011

• in this case i think it matters what she does for the children that are already here and alive. Living to take care of the children that she already has would seem like the obvious choice to me. And i am against abortion for myself. But i never judge anyone else b/c of situations like these. i am not in that mother's shoes and couldn't tell her what choice was best for her only support the choice that she did make. I firmly beileve this is why we are the ones and not men that have the babiies b/c we make sure we weigh every option and don't just jump to a decision.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 7:40 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Hypothetically are questions like this posted to incite people? Hypothetically do you ask these questions because of what reasons?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:44 PM on May. 1, 2011

• It the unborn child isn't going to live regardless then choosing to save the life of the mother in any of those cases is the way I would choose. I don't believe in abortion but in very few cases anyhow is one of them. But in the end I think it is up to the mother to make the decision it is her body.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 7:40 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I may seem a little shelfish, but I would choose my life, with the children I already have. It is very sad to think of a small life not surviving, but if the baby was not to live anyway, I would not feel like I was a murderer. Sometimes life is not fair, and we have to make difficult decisions, but it should be only up to the individuals involved. We need to respect everyone's rights and decisions, even if we do not agree.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 7:43 PM on May. 1, 2011

• It's a personal choice. I am a mother of 2 and I'm pretty sure I would have made the same decision. Your not a murderer
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 8:53 PM on May. 1, 2011

• That should have been "lumping yourself into a category" not pumping. Lol that sounded a little wired. Autocorrect sucks.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 10:32 PM on May. 1, 2011