Does anyone have advice on creating a profile?

My husband and I are very close to finishing our homestudy and I am begining to develop our profile, any suggestions, particularly in regard to how much text to include? Just a little and mostly pictures, or a mix? Also, has anyone used online advertising, such as Parent Profiles? It seems a little expensive and I'm not sure how helpful it will be in connecting with potential birthmoms. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

muptgirl

Asked by muptgirl at 10:01 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Adoption

• We included our life story basically. We started from the time we met all the way up to the time we actually submitted our profile letter. We did include pictures (us, wedding, family, nieces, etc), but not many. I think it's important to be honest in your profile letter, and to not be sickeningly sweet. Don't make it seem like you have the prefect life, because most don't. This is coming at it from an Aparents perspective. I think honesty is the best policy when it comes to profile letters. Be sincere in your wishes to have a child, let them know what you are willing to accept as far as open, closed, semi-open. IMO, I would never use online advertising. It seems a little sneaky and not altogether ethical and moral. I'd stick to local agencies that you have researched and know how they handle PAPs and Bmoms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I remember when I was doing this...I was so stressed that I couldn't think straight, let alone be creative!

Keep things simple and not too busy. Show pictures, but don't go overboard. What we did was have a couple pages with pictures of DH and myself, a page for his side of the family, a page for my side of the family, a page for our pets, a page for our house, a page of local parks and school information. Each page had 3-4 pictures and each picture had a caption explaining where/when it was taken.

We only used a local agency. We did talk about doing more things on our own, but things happened so fast for us (matched 4 months) that we never really had the time.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• And although the profile is there so that the PBP may choose you and you may feel in competition with other PAP, remember to keep it honest and personal. What you are wanting is the PBP to be able to connect with you, your family, etc. through your pictures. I would think that the PBP having a natural feeling of just glancing through your family scrapbook would be a good thing.

GOOD LUCK!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2008