What are some situations that you have seen Child Services investigate?

Not for physical/mental abuse. ~I mean the safety and cleanliness of the home. ~
My Aunt lost her kids over serious cockroach infestation and too many cats in a home without proper human waste removal system.
I know a girl that said she had garbage on her porch and the CPS lady helped her clean. (not sure how bad it was but she said the lady asked her why she had a loaf of bread on the floor)
I was just wondering how bad some places have to be before someone steps in. I heard that windows cannot be blocked with dressers or other items that would serve as a fire hazzard. What things have you seen or heard of?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Health

• it has to be beyond the worst you have seen before they'll step in. my sister does not clean her house or her car. once my mom, myself, my other sister, and my step dad tried to clean out her van and there were roaches in the baby's car seat. we bombed it 6 times and still weren't able to get all the roaches out. we could see them crawling out of the vents trying to escape the poison from the bombing. her house has stuff everywhere, there's so much stuff that you can't see the floor. if their garbage can is full they'll just throw it on the ground. there was glass all over the bathroom floors and roaches in the microwave. it's so bad that if my mom keeps her kids, she has to leave the diaper bag, carseat, ext. outside. the kids get baths as soon as they get through the door. she has food in her car that's months old. her middle child has asthma and the youngest is only an infant and she smokes in the car with them.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 8:27 PM on May. 1, 2011

• basically anything that would make it uninhabitable for people to live in. Anything that is so far unclean that it causes health hazards.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:21 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I have a friend who used to work for cps and she told me usually they call and explain they are coming over because they had a complaint. They will hint if its a dirty house. That gives enough time to clean up. If they get there and the mother is simply overwhelmed they will give them time to clean, and in some instance also help. It depends on the worker.
    They will take kids though from parents who continually have a dirty home, urine or feces on the ground indoors, broken windows, no heat in the winter with no hope of getting any, no water is an automatic also, no food, dirty kids, etc. It is usually coupled with other problems they learn of by investigating and talk to the school and neighbors. A dirty home is and would never be the sole reason to remove kids.

Answer by gemgem at 8:24 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I haven't seen anyone being investigated ...but last year I read about a house in the paper....there was a house that was condemned due the accumulation of garbage,cats and feces in the house. I think they took the kids away from them too. No big surprise there. I can't imagine living like that. I have to clean every day and everything has to be neat in my house.
    Have you ever watched the HOARDERS on A&E??? Oh my goodness.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:26 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Human or animals waste not disposed of properly. Filth in food prep areas including refrigerators. fire hazards, "hoarding" situations. No food in the house. Kids left unattended.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:26 PM on May. 1, 2011

• CPS has to investigate ANY call, so an investigation really means nothing unless they build a case. It's like when you call the cops, they still have to show up, even if there isn't anything wrong.

As for cleanliness, there is no legal requirement to keeping a clean home if you have children. Foster care would be on overload! LOL BUT if the home is so unsanitary that sickness is occuring, or there are things that children are in extreme danger such as access to prescrip meds, fire, sharp items like scrap metal or knives, they can make sure you clean it up by a certain time, or they will intervene for you.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:29 PM on May. 1, 2011

• also, she over feeds her kids. the oldest will only eat cereal and junk food and she allows that. the middle child is 1 and she orders him mighty kids meals from mcdonalds. the baby, is almost 4 months old and she puts seven scoops of rice cereal in her bottle.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 8:30 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I had an unfounded call on me from a room mate I kicked out for using drugs. CPS showed up. They looked around talked to me for a little bit, wrote up a report and closed the case. I got a copy of the report and it stated my home was dirty!! I was like, WTF does that have to do with the allegation of me beating my child? And it wasn't filthy, there was laundry everywhere because I was in the middle of doing it, and little man had taken my tuff and sprawled it all over the house. Who doesn't do that? LOL But they never said it to my face, nor did they tell me to do anything.

I have seen homes that you can barely breath in because the pets crap and piss everywhere. The fridge is filled with rotten food, and you can smell the rotten food in the sink. I recall case where the little boy was sleeping on a cot in the garage while the dad's friends took his room to live in. CPS did NOTHING!!!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:39 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I worked with a guy who had his kids taken away for a dirty house. You could smell the house from the outside. It was that bad. They had two teenagers who didn't even know how to clean. They had to clean the house and keep it clean in order to get their kids back.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:41 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My neighbor and I called on another neighbor a few years ago. These two little girls ages 1st and K. Got off the bus with their 6th grade brother. The mom was in another town with her boy friend. The boy would go to friends house to eat and the girls would wonder down the street until someone offered them dinner. Once the oldest boy came to my door, it was almost dark outside & he couldn't find his sisters. My kids and I grabbed flash lights and I thought the worse. They were eating dinner way up the street.
    The lady across the street took them in and gave them a bath one evening. I gave her some of my dd clothes.
    Anyhow, the police came and they ended up moving to another state. We heard she went to live with family that could help her. We really don't know what happened to them.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 9:01 PM on May. 1, 2011