Anyone else feel the need to adopt even though you are capable of having your own?

When I was little I would always pretend that a baby was left on my doorstep and I got to keep it. I still would love to adopt and I don't know why I feel such a need when I can have kids. I had a miscarriage and then Toxemia with my only son but will adopt in a second if I'm told I can't have any more. One night I had a dream about a little 2 yr old blond haired blue eyed boy with such a sad look on his face and immediately I woke up and thought "omg, I'll take him." I laid there and cried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Adoption

• i have a 3 year old daughter and i want to adopt 2 more. anytime i see a child wondering in a store and their parents aren't paying them any attention or watching them the way they should i want to take them home with me and raise them.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 8:59 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Okay...not to be snarky, but this question really burns me up.

My own??? Really? Biological.. and please if you cannot immediately say " this child is my own", then please don't ever adopt as that would be horrible for the adoptee in question. THEY deserve..no NEED to know that they are as loved as a biological child would be. Period.
    I lost a child in 03', we adopted our middle dd from China in 07'. We had a biological child in 08'. My daughter that is adopted is MY OWN child. Period. She will always be my baby. Nothing will ever change that fact. Do I love her differently from her baby sister? Nope. They are both my girls.
    When you adopt, that child is your own. Adoption should never be entered into as a saving grace for a child as that child will then feel inadequate and a second choice.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:47 AM on May. 2, 2011

• In a heart beat I would adopt any little angel that needed to be loved.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 8:51 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I do not know if I could have had children. At least not in the sense of biological children. I do have a dx making it difficult to concieve. I have rarely ever used birth control and no pregnancies. I do not care to do anything invasive. I discussed options with my doctors. I always knew adoption was the first and only option for me. I do not regret it. Am I capable of a biological child? Perhaps. We never tried. But I find it a joy to be a mom. Adoption was our way of expanding our family. Adoption is just one way amoung many to expand a family.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:16 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Yes I would and may be getting custody (at least temporarily) of a "friends" baby. I find out more tomorrow. DH and I have talked about it, and we may adopt after we have one of our own. But we are having difficulty getting (and staying) pregnant, so we may be adopting sooner than we thought.
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 5:07 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I am so sorry you took that wrong but I did mean PHYSICALLY CARRYING A CHILD. yes, as in BIOLOGICALLY.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:28 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Depends... There is a big difference between adopting through foster care even if you are able to have children and adopting a newborn even if you are able to have children... Depends on which route you take, in my opinion if a couple can have children of their own but decide to do an infant adoption, I think it is selfish and taking a baby away from a couple that will never have that experience...

if you doing it for children in need, then yes, I think that is awesome... But newborns are not in need like many ppl think, it is a shark tank trying to adopt a newborn, some ppl wait years...

Even in foster care, if you wanting a little one, it is still a shark tank if you only want little ones that are ready for adoption...

Children that are truly in need of a loving family is older children...
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 10:35 PM on May. 1, 2011

• No. The only way I could in good conscience adopt is if I knew for 100% that the child was an orphan & had no other family in the world who could care for them.
    Anonymous