FAMILY TELLING ME SOMETHING I DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW!!!!

I'M HAVING MY FIRST BABY.AND I'M 22.SINCE THIS IS AN ONLY WOMEN SITE
I HAVE A QUESTION.I HAD SOMEONE FROM MY FAMILY TO TELL ME ,NOW THAT YOUR PREGNANT YOU HAVE TO START SHAVING DOWN THERE.OR THE
DOCTORS WILL DO IT FOR YOU WHEN IT'S TIME TO HAVE THE BABY.DO THEY STILL DO THAT.WERE NOT IN THE 60'S ANY MORE.I DON'T SHAVE.BUT I DO
TRIM UP EVERY NOW AND THEN.WHY WOULD THEY TELL ME THIS.I DONT
WANT TO ASK MY DOCTOR.THIS QUESTION OR SHOULD I ASK HIM? SORRY IF THIS A DUM QUESTION,BUT IT SOCKED ME WHEN THE TOLD ME THAT!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Why don't you want to ask your doctor?

If you're old enough to make a baby, you're old enough to say "are you going to shave my va-jay-jay"?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• K, well, I don't shave down there either, just trim like you. I have had two kids and never gotten "shaved".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• They didn't shave mine for either of my two babies.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• SO THEY DONT THAT ANY MORE,BUT WHY WOULD THE OLD BAT TELL ME THAT.THEY MUST
    DID IT TO HER?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• ive had my first baby already and from what ive been told shaving in that area isnt nessecary because as you get bigger you wont be able to shave cause you cant seee and also ive been told it can increase the chances of you getting an infection when i went into labor the doctor diidnt shave me and i hadnt shaved in months before i gave birth so i wouldnt worrie about it just do what you feel comfortable with
    Anonymous

• I would guess that everybody's experiences are different. For me, I don't shave but trim. I was so big when i was pg the 1st time that i didn't even worry about trimming. I went in for an induction but ended up with a c-section. They only shaved the top part (TMI) for that. To my understanding, they don't do that anymore but like i said every doctor has their own way.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Most L&D floors and Drs quit the 'poodle shaving and enema" in the late 80's early 90's. Many had stopped before that. I wouldn't sweat it. However, nev er, ever be shy about asking your Dr, esp. your OB about anything. You are trusting this person with a very intimate part and function of your body, as well as with the life of your unborn child.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• That's ridiculous! You don't have to unless you want to for some reason. I have never heard of that being done before a birth.
    karlyflower

Answer by karlyflower at 10:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Well, it might depend on your Dr. (maybe if he's an older Dr.) But I read that it is NOT common practice anymore. They used to do it because they thought it was more sanitary back in the day.

I just found this online: pubic shaving does not reduce infection, causes discomfort to the mother with regrowth of hair and may actually increase transmission of HIV and hepatitis to the baby.

So, no, I don't think they will be doing it. You can tell your family member that it's not done anymore and why. One thing about Drs. hon, they've heard EVERYTHING! Sometimes it's embarassing to ask, but they really could care less. You wouldn't believe some of the things I had to tell and ask when I was preggie. I wish I only would have had to ask your question. Good Luck!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Back to the OP -

1) You need to be grown up in speaking with your doctor.
    2) You need to be nice to your family, even when they may be wrong.
    3) You need to read some books on pregnancy and what to expect.

Yes, they used to shave it ALL down there - just ask someone 60+ who has given birth. Times have changed....for the better.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2008