Can anyone offer advice about travel overseas with a 1 year old baby?

This is an overnight flight to Europe. In particular, does anyone have any information about the basinet they provide? My husband is traveling to Spain with my daughter so she can meet their family and I am concerned. Her first trip was only 2 hours and turned out quite a disaster with Triana in the emergency room.

babytriana

Asked by babytriana at 8:44 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Travel

• i traveled overseas with my 3 year old. as far as your child goes, she is small enough to where they would allow her to sit in your husbands lap and you would not have to purchase an extra ticket. or you can purchase another seat for her and she could either sit in it with or without her own car seat. i've never heard of them providing any special type of seating for babies. My sister from south carolina to texas when her son was a year or younger and he sat in her lap. what happened on the first flight that put your daughter in the hospital?
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 8:54 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Hi Tiffanie, thank you very much for responding. Apparently British Airways offer that service as we were able to book a bassinet for the overseas flight. I have no idea what it's going to look like though. I'll let everyone know after the trip. As for her visit to the hospital, the doctors thought it was a virus. She became totally incapacitated, it was very scary. If you're curious I wrote the whole story on Triana's baby book http://trianacalderonseivers.babytriana.com/en/blog/34-trianas-visit-to-the-hospital

babytriana

Comment by babytriana (original poster) at 9:26 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My LO slept the whole way on the plane so I lucked out.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:22 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I have used a bassinet for overseas flight, but my daughter was 4 months old at the time. I don't know what the weight limit is on it. You have to ask the airline. You also have to book the bassinet ahead of time and make sure you are seated in a row that holds the bassinet. My daughter was very comfortable in it and it made the 12 hour flight very easy for me. I just made sure that she was sucking on her bottle during the take off and landing (for her ears).
    Sorry to hear about your daughter's experience on the flight.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 2:21 AM on May. 6, 2011