Is Christianity a thing of the past?

Are modern day followers hanging on by a thread?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Not at all. My family and I are all involved in the church and many of my co workers. Popular culture will have you believe that but, thats not true...
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 9:02 PM on May. 1, 2011

• i doubt it.. there are still some die hard fans out there.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:10 PM on May. 1, 2011

• – collapse
    If only...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:17 PM on May. 1, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• statistically the numbers have dropped, but not enough to discount it as one of the top major religions still.

(i'm not christian)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:19 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I don't believe so.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:22 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Personally, I don't see Christianity lasting to much longer. It flourished through times when religion was able to be forced on others through the use of threats of violence and/or death. Now that that is no longer the case, the majority (not all of course) of Christians are those who were raised to be so, and there are more leaving the Christian faith than those who are joining. Even if you just look at the last 50 years, we've gone from a majority of US Citizens being Christian to a Polarity... I would have to say over the next 25 years the numbers are only going to continue to decline. I doubt it will ever cease to exist, because frankly, religions never die, they simply alter and diminish over time - Even Ancient Babylonian beliefs still exist in some forms today. So even if we can't yet call it a thing of the past, I would say within my lifetime we'll see it become the "less popular" religious choice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:28 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I don't believe Christianity is a thing of the past, nor will it ever fall away. False religions will rise, but the end is written.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:30 PM on May. 1, 2011

• no...unless you're talking about fundamentalist Christianity. i think more ppl are dropping the religious aspects of Christianity, the man-made rules & obligations. but i dont think the faith or spiritual concepts of Christianity are going anywhere.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:34 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Perhaps one day we'll see the more literalist, fundamentalist version of Christianity fade - in time. But I believe that Christianity can exist outside of those lines. Retired Bishop Spong has been talking about that for decades now, in various books (I'm reading my second now, lol), how the experience that led to these explanations being literalized and so forth was very real, and is still relevant and moving, how the person of Jesus and what he inspires and reveals to people is still an experience that moves people. So even if Christianity's face may change (and he argues it must) over time, I do believe that it will still exist. I know I'm certainly not hanging on by a thread. I don't have any issue with any sort of incompatibility between my faith and the rest of life in "modern times". Then again, though, I don't believe in literalism or fundamental aspects of the faith....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:38 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I don't think so. But, with advanced schooling, higher education, the influence is waning.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:39 PM on May. 1, 2011