Car seat question! i have no other mothers to ask please help!

so i just installed my new infant car seat (gonna be induced in two days!)
and the front part (part against the back seat) does not move side to side or up and down or anything. but the back part of the car seat (part facing the front of the car) can move up and down and side to side. is it supposed to do that? and is it safe?? i followed the directions 100% and its a brand new nice carseat

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 9:18 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most local police stations or fire station can help make sure that it's installed right(our hospital has people that help with it). Since I can't see it I can't answer but it shouldn't really move much.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:20 PM on May. 1, 2011

• It sound like you did the right thing, but did you know that laws have passed where you can actually go to your local police or fire department, and they can check it for you free of charge? I did when I first got custody of my niece a few years ago, and mine was actually installed wrong.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:21 PM on May. 1, 2011

• sounds right to me.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:24 PM on May. 1, 2011

• It's been a little while since I've used one, but I believe they are okay to move an inch in any direction. If you are concerned, call CPS tomorrow morning and tell them that you are having problems and need it checked ASAP. Different places in different areas will check them, but CPS always knows who is currently doing it. In our area, it's the health department that checks the seats. The state highway patrol used to, but doesn't anymore.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:25 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Yep it's right when there is an accident the car will jolt forward so it will be held by the rear of the seat (or front being it's backwards)
    momofthreeIRC

Answer by momofthreeIRC at 9:46 PM on May. 1, 2011

• As long as the base of the seat is tight and does not move at all or less than an inch, you should be right. My infant seats always moved at the head end, too.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:15 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Ask the hospital to check before takimg your LO home, as they should anyways.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 1:59 AM on May. 2, 2011

• i agree with the other posters saying go to the police station or fire department what helped my DH and i was talking to the NICU nurse who was kind to us and asking if she would check it out she climbed in the back seat and put it through every moving test she could think of and said we were doing fine ask for help from the nurses they are pretty great and they are happy to help
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 5:04 AM on May. 2, 2011

• It sounds likes it's fine.... as long as the front part, where the belt goes in, is nice and tight and the seat can't more more than an inch within the belt path then it's tight enough. You'll want to make sure it's the right angle too... most seats have some kind of indicator. The back of the seat is SUPPOSED to move.... in an accident the seat comes up to cradle the baby and protect their neck.

You should join the car seat safety group on here... http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:19 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Yes, the seat should move no more then an inch, AT THE BELT PATH. Since you're a first time mom, I highly recommend finding a local CPST though, and having them check your install. Yes, SOME cops and firefighters are certified, but NOT all of them, and unfortunately, I hear of many cops/firefighters who are not certified, giving carseat advice anyway, and it's often poor advice. If you go to the safekids website, you can find a tech in your area. I urge all new parents to do this.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:38 PM on May. 2, 2011