Needs help switching to a toddler bed

Any of you moms have any advice on the best way to switch my son from his crib to a toddler bed. Hes almost 2 1/2. He already fights going to bed some nights, and wont sleep anywhere but in his crib. But we are moving out of state in a few weeks and I need to get him switched before we move because the crib was borrowed. I have baby gates and everything, I just want to make this as smooth as possible with all of the other changes coming up. Any advice?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 9:27 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We switched DD to a toddler bed when she was about 3 months from 3 years old. What we did was sent her to the IL's for the day and DH and I completely took everything out of her room, switched from "baby" to "princess" and set it up as her toddler room. We had several balloons about and brought her in her room when she came home. It was such a surprise for her and she loved it! Luckily we never really had a problem with her sleeping in the toddler bed.

She is just over 5 years old now and we are getting ready to switch to a big girl bedroom set. Would have liked to have kept the toddler stuff a little longer, but that little runt just keeps growing! LOL
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:33 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I totally do not recommend changing ur kids room while they're not there. It could backfire and shock him into not sleeping in there at all. For my son he started climbing out of his crib right before his 2nd birthday so we put his toddler bed in his room next to his crib for a couple days and then switched the mattress over to the toddler bed but left the crib in there for another day or two. That way he got to choose to sleep in the big boy bed. Then i took the crib out and put his toddler bed in the spot where his crib used to be. He still fights going to bed but I put him in his bed, and put a plastic child lock on the inside of his door knob so he can't get out. Some nights I gotta put him back in bed 4 or 5 times til he goes to sleep, and sometiems I have to sit by his bed and hold his hand for him to go to sleep. Good luck with the transition
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 10:05 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I am in process of switching my DD, she is 1. I didn't do this with my first, but with #2, I have placed the toddler bed in her playroom (your family room or main family area will do just fine) after a couple days she mastered getting up and down all by herself and sits in it and watches Tangled or climbs up to look out the window. She seems pretty comfortable with it now so I plan to swap it for the crib shortly. Any mom who has more than one child knows that they are all different. So most importantly, do whatever you think will work for HIM.

CafeMomBinky

Answer by CafeMomBinky at 10:32 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I tested my son by putting his mattress on the floor and seeing if he'd sleep in there... His crib was put in the corner and he slept with his head up by the empty crib and he stayed laying down on that mattress all night long... didn't even get out of it int he morning and waited for me to come get him.. :) that day we went out and bought him a toddler bed took down the crib and put up the bed... he loves it... But we also have always always slept with doors closed tightly so he wasn't able to get out of him room anyhow.
    k.stark

Answer by k.stark at 11:28 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My son just switched to a toddler bed last month (at 19 months) because he kept climbing out of his crib, and we felt he might injure himself. Honestly, the first three nights were the worst. The first night I got him to sleep first, then put him in the toddler bed so he woke up in it. The second night I put him in there as he was almost asleep. He got up and cried, and we had to let him CIO. He fell asleep (on the bed) after about 15 minutes. The third night was a repeat of the second night, but he fell asleep on the floor and the crying only lasted about 5 minutes. Since then he's been excellent about going to sleep on his bed (or on his floor and being transferred to his bed before I go to sleep).

sirshay

Answer by sirshay at 3:32 PM on May. 2, 2011

• We found a toddler bed for REALLY cheap so what we did was put the bed up in his room with his crib and just talked about how he would soon get to sleep in it. When he was ready (it only took about a week) we started with naps in it and would ask him if he'd want to sleep in his new big boy bed or baby bed. He always chose the big boy bed after he started napping in it. Its a big change and adjustment but just keep talking to your lo about getting to sleep in a big boy bed!! :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 4:25 PM on May. 2, 2011

• We are going through the same thing -- my kiddo is 2 1/2 and LOVES his crib. We call it his man-cave, haha. Thanks for posting the question. My kiddo doesn't do well with transition, so it seems introducing the bed while they are still in the crib seems logical for the kids who aren't happy with change. Also, let him pick out cool sheets with whatever he's interesting in printed all over them!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:13 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Thanks everyone. I was shocked, but he actually took to it really well. He adores my nephew Rilley and we got a car bed from him. And my son is 2 1/2 so he kept saying how cool it was and that it came from Rilley, and took to it right away. Hes at a stage where he wants independence so I think it makes him feel like a big boy. Napping is a little difficult but bed time hasn't been at all. Thank you for all of the suggestions.
    ashtonjames

Comment by ashtonjames (original poster) at 9:51 PM on May. 19, 2011