5 & 6 year old boys pooping themselves

My 5 & 6 year old boys are continuously pooping themselves. It's starting to get VERY frustrating.

My 5 year old was a late potty trainer, and hasn't really stopped pooping himself - ever. He has no problem going pee in the potty, but when it comes to pooping - he just seems to not care.

My 6 year old was a super easy potty trainer, and didn't poop his self - for him he's been doing it on and off for about 2 years, but it's been a constant issue the past 8 months or so. We have to make sure we keep him on a high fiber diet (fiber cereal in the morning and fiber bars for a snack). For awhile we were thinking that was the issue - if he wasn't getting enough fiber he would hold it in for weeks until he couldn't do so anymore. He now gets fiber every day - so the constipation is no longer the under lying issue.

I've been told not to punish them - that it'll only make it worse. The thing is - being nice about it doesn't get anywhere either. So what are we to do? It isn't an accident when they poop themselves - it's just pure laziness - they don't want to stop playing, and take the time to go potty. Yet they will stop playing to go pee in the potty. It just makes absolutely no sense.

My husband and I are fed up with it. We are tired of them cuddling up to us smelling like poop. Their room stinks of it, and there are times when I find little "crunchies" on the floor from falling out of their underwear - which I am afraid that our 8 month old will ingest one of these days. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on what we could do?

Edit:
I do make them clean their own underwear/pants when they do poop themselves, and we have taken away priveleges - TV, video games, toys, etc. Nothing seems to be working. My oldest has had one "accident" at school - so it seems to only be a thing they do when they are anywhere else.

Meggs0023

Asked by Meggs0023 at 9:36 PM on May. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think at that age u can punish them cuz they know better!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:39 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Make them clean themselves and their underwear up on their own. Yes it will be a mess but after a few times I bett hey realize it's easier to just go on the potty.
    momofthreeIRC

Answer by momofthreeIRC at 9:40 PM on May. 1, 2011

• you are right they sound lazy. if they have enough sense to stop what ever they are doing to use use the bathroom for # 1 i don't see why they can't do the same for # 2. this is unacceptable and i feel for you and your hubby. these are big kids !!! it sounds like they have wicked minds at this point. There would be ABSOLUTELY no playing with toys or other fun stuff. i would turn into a drill sergeant. send them my way.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:41 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Make them start cleaning themselves and set up a potty alarm to go off several times through out the day to make them stop what they are doing and go potty!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:43 PM on May. 1, 2011

• well first take them to the doctor to make sure they are ok, then each time they poop them selves you tell them they need to use the bathroom have them with no help get undressed, help him clean up his body, have the one that had the accident clean his underwear and any other mess the poop may have made.. I think they will get tried of cleaning it up but if you are doing it for them they won't care. also I would make them wear pull ups at night until this stops.. my 8 year old didn't fully get trained until 4years old & my 4 year old also..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:44 PM on May. 1, 2011

• @gwen20...Don't you think saying they have "wicked minds" is going a little far? Lazy yes but I don't think wicked. I agree though taking away things they like such as toys might help.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 9:47 PM on May. 1, 2011

• @ Brandi300 i mean exactly what i said.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:49 PM on May. 1, 2011

• my 6 year old twins boy/girl do same..i,m at my wits end wth them.. i thank i,ll try the washing thar owne underpants and see if that works..
    KRIZZ25

Answer by KRIZZ25 at 9:50 PM on May. 1, 2011

• @gwen..okay then....

OP Good luck!! Its gonna take a lot of patients! I feel for you!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 9:54 PM on May. 1, 2011

• For all these kids that do this (another poster mentioned this too) - do these kids go to school? What happens there? Do they get away with this stuff there? Or do they just not do this there?

Anonymous