Fetal heart rate and gender

Can the fetal heartrate accurately detect whether you are having a boy or girl or is that just an old wives tale

Ashley.herzing

Asked by Ashley.herzing at 10:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I THINK It's an old wives tale, although it played out true for me. Both my sons' heart rates were over 147 and my daughter was only 138 on average. Something to do with the male hormones and their compatability to the mother or something. I wouldn't paint the nursery blue just yet, though. Wait until you actually see a "pee-pee" in the photo lol!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 10:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• its old wives tale my daughters heart beat was 150 on avergae but my son is only 130
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I don't think it's always right, but I'm pregnant with my first and it was right. My girl's heart rate has been between 150 and 180. They say that a baby's heart rate fluctuates a lot, especially at first while it is still becoming stable. I have a friend who is having a boy and his heart rate was 156 when she got it checked.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Just an old wives' tale.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Not sure, they said heart rate around 145-155 meant it was a boy and it was ture for my son.
    Anonymous