16th birthday ideas?

I have a son and a daughter who are turning sixteen on the 11th of this month! I'm open to ideas on gifts, parties, or whatever. They're both very laid back and down to earth and say they don't really want anything, but I want to remind them that I think they're the coolest kiddos who ever lived. We won't be doing anything fancy as money is tight and I need to do something for both of them, but sixteen is kind of a big birthday. I'd love to hear any and all suggestions. Thanks!

lytate95

Asked by lytate95 at 9:57 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Limmo rides don't cost too much.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:00 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Cookout at home with their closest friends and family. Then find that one thing they really want that you can afford.
    It doesn't have to be BIG to be remembered.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:01 PM on May. 1, 2011

• We were pretty broke for my daughter's 16th, and what we did was have a movie party- Rocky Horror, Repo the Genetic Opera and for the girls who stayed the night- Donnie Darko. We made the invitations ourselves -they were corsets that you had to untie to open...and asked everyone to come in clothing that would work with those movies. I got boas at the dollar store and we put together bags with confetti, toast, squirter rings, party hats and blowers, rice...so that they could do the stuff with the movie (Rocky Horror) and a couple of the girls got up and acted out and sang with the movie -SO FUN! then what we did was cover the garage walls in black trash bags and sprinkled neon confetti on the floor and made neon swirlies and hung them and taped them on the walls, had a cd player and gave everyone glow sticks- so they ahd a sort of club atmosphere going on out there- they loved it! cont...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:46 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I made her birthday cake myself (she always wants me to do it) and we did a sort of topsy turvy type cake...we made pigs in blankets for the food and the whole thing cost about 130.00 or so
    Everyone had a great time and we got some pretty fun pictures!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:48 PM on May. 1, 2011

• maybe throw them a surprise party :)
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 10:02 PM on May. 1, 2011

• that's a good idea twinsplus2more
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 10:03 PM on May. 1, 2011

• thats what my sis got was a limo ride for her 16th and if you do it like then they could both invite friends and only pay once i have no ideal of cost but an ideal if not to much because then you only buy one big gift then have friends over afterwards for a party
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 5:09 AM on May. 2, 2011

• *I told her she could invite 20 people and about 7 or 8 showed up -but it was great :)

just thought I'd add that- since some people want to invite tons of people to the parties ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:49 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I would do a party with their closest friends. Keep it simple, make your invites and decorations.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:43 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I agree a party at the house with their friends would be good. If they are laid back, it would be perfect. They don't need much, pizza, chips and pop and they will all be happy. On a side note, you are obviously a good Momma to love your kids so very much to want to do this for them, I am sure this is where they get their coolness from.

Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:11 PM on May. 3, 2011