What to do for Christmas presents for kids when you are broke?

No money and Christmas is three weeks away, and I have 3 children, and my husband was just laid off from his job after leaving the Army. What to do?

AlliMoore1986

Asked by AlliMoore1986 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Money & Work

• When I was a flat broke single mom and couldn't buy a single gift for the kids I wrote them stories with them as the main character. Years later they still think of these stories as thier favorite gifts ever.
    runawaybunny

Answer by runawaybunny at 10:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Yeah try to make some gifts, or try to go to toys for tots or something. I am in the same boat sorta, my hubby still has a job but there is not much money. We arent goin to get them but maybe one gift each and make the holiday more about being with the family. good luck
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 10:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• If you can sew maybe you could make them pillows and blankets out of old pieces of fabric that mean something to them. You can also get really cheap scraps at places like walmart or any store that sells fabric.
    tinaaly

Answer by tinaaly at 11:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I im in the same boat, as are many people I know here in Michigan. I have a friend who is cleaning out her little sister's old dollhouse for her daughter and giving her her old digital camera. I got a couple gifts, not a lot, but I am going to clean up and put together a couple of things I got this year at gargage sales that she has forgotten about and are by the garage. There are also a few agencies that may be able to help, call your local agency that provides foodstamps or the Salvation Army, thier website is www.salvationarmyusa.org. You can find your local Salvation Army there. Good Luck!
    amberjade11

Answer by amberjade11 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Girl, no need for gifts. Get them involved in some holiday baking, holiday festivities and go look at decorations. Trust me, kids do not need toys to have a blast at this time of the year.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You should also go to Goodwill, you can get toys there for $2 - $3 that were 10x's that much new. Little kids don't know the difference in new and used anyway. If they're older, explain to them that this year is just different. That's what I'm doing with my teenager, she understands and is being pretty 'grown up' about it.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I order from LTD companies... money goes further there... Also Graveyardmall is pretty cheap. And we have an Ollies here. that helps... Outlet stores kick ass!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I honestly know the feeling, that was me last year.... Make alot of homemade gifts, sew, picture frames, etc. Make sure the holidays are fun and show your kids that you love them no matter what. Try not to let them see that you are sad, because it really rubs off on them.

One excellent rescource in every town and city is your local United Way. They will help you especiawlly at Christmas time. I voulunteer at my local united way because they really came to my rescue last year. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
    joliver903

Answer by joliver903 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• We too are flat broke this year as many people are, we are at risk of lossing our home so it is not going to be a good christmas here. However I want my Son to have a merry christmas so I had to go out and see what I could find at the thrift stores. I got a few toys and cleaned them up and wrapped them for him. Luckily he is still very young and shouldn't notice. g/l
    Anonymous

• Have an old fashioned Christmas...have the kids bake cookies, make presents, string popcorn for ornaments. It just might be the most memorable one yet!
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 1:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2008