Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

My son just turned one a month ago and is running a fever of 102.1 I don't know if I should take him to the Er or wait to go to the doctor tomorrow?

He is running a temp. of 102.1 taken under his arm about 5 mins ago. He ran a temp earlier about 5 it was 100.1 then and I gave him some tylenol to bring it down and it has went up. He is sleeping now and has been uninterested in playing, eating, and drinking today. He asked for a cup an hour ago so I made him one ,even put chocolate milk in it so maybe he would drink it.( He loves this and can have some every once in a while) He took one drink and hasn't touched it since, when usually it would be gone in 10 mins. I also made some food (chicken tenders and mashed potatoes) and he would not eat that either. He had a cold this past week and it has ended about 2 days ago. He has no runny nose ...nothing. Should I take him to the ER tonight or the doctor in the morning?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Kids' Health

Answers (22)
  • it sounds like he's fighting an infection (that's what fevers are)...keep alternating tylenol and motrin every 4 hours...ER won't do anything unless he becomes dehydrated...give him gatorade in a sippy, bottle, however he'll take it...water and juice can make him feel worse...he probably wont want milk or food. Just as long as he is hydrated, then he can go without food. Try wiping his hands and feet with a cool cloth. don't let him get under too many blankets...that's what I would suggest for tonight...

    Answer by calliesmommie at 10:13 PM on May. 1, 2011

  • If you have insurance or medicad, you can call the nurse hotline.

    I went through this with my son. He was 103 and the nurse said that if it got to 104 or higher, to take him to the ER. Otherwise, there are ways to take it down.

    I would call the hotline. They will ask a bunch of questions that will determine whether you have to take him or not.

    Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:14 PM on May. 1, 2011

  • I would watch him closely through the night. Check his temp in an hour or so. If it goes up agian then go to the ER. If he has been pretty much himself all day and the only worry is a fever I would wait till tomorrow and go see his primary. At his age most Dr.s dont like to do anything for fear of law suits, primary care dr is best bet.

    Answer by Eko at 10:14 PM on May. 1, 2011

  • p.s....if it doesn't go away within 24 hours after the meds, then I would take him to quick care or something similar or his pedi and have them look at his ears..maybe he's fighting an ear infection. My daughter is 2 and recently went through this..she had her fever for 2 days straight....never pulled at her ears or anything. Bad ear infections on both sides...

    Answer by calliesmommie at 10:15 PM on May. 1, 2011

  • Never hurts to go to the er, though, sometimes it just causes the babies more grief. I personally try to avoid the er for the babies because, even though they always have a pediatrician on call, they rarely call him/her and babies really need care from a pediatrician. They know how to talk to them and get their job done. They know how to talk to you and will be more likely to diagnose the problem rather than treat on a "just in case" basis.

    If you can keep the fever down alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen, you should wait to see baby's pediatrician. Have someone go out and get you some pedialyte. If baby won't drink it, make pediapops in the freezer. This usually gets it down.

    If you can't keep the fever at bay or get fluids in him, go to the er. Ask for the pediatrician. Ask until they do it. Know that it's gunn a be a long night for you either way.

    Good luck mamma!

    Answer by CafeMomBinky at 10:18 PM on May. 1, 2011

  • Rectal temp is far more accurate than an underarm... Try a rectal temp, and if it's 104 or above THEN CALL THE PEDIATRICIAN. No need to go to the ER unless you're instructed to by the Pedi's office.

    Good Luck!

    Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:21 PM on May. 1, 2011

  • I'd call the doctor on call.

    Answer by Bmat at 10:24 PM on May. 1, 2011

  • keep checking him throughout the night, if his temperature reaches 104 or higher, you should take him to the er

    Answer by TiffanieK at 10:58 PM on May. 1, 2011

  • oh and also, when you take the temperature under the arm, you are supposed to add two degrees.

    Answer by TiffanieK at 11:00 PM on May. 1, 2011

  • I'd be most worried about him not drinking. Dehydration can be a problem. I also would let the fever do it's job instead of masking it with a fever reducer. Call the doc if you are worried, mama.

    Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:44 PM on May. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.