Parenting Advice from Non-Equal Mothers

Sorry for the title...just couldn't think of another way to say it! LOL

I've seen many times here over the past few days people complaining about childless people giving them parenting advice. I guess I can understand that to a certain extent.

But how do you feel if a parent of less children than you have offers you advice? Or a parent with children younger than yours offering advice?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:21 PM on May. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't mind either way. You never know what their experience is. I guess I think like this: if someone's niece or nephew has the same issue I am experiencing, why reject their advice/experience just because they didn't give birth to the child? Yeah, there are certain things that I kind of roll my eyes at...as in someone who is TTC their first telling you what labor will be like, or answers that are obviously based on textbook responses rather than experience. Overall, the intention is usually well meaning, so I take all opinions into consideration.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:03 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I feel like if the advice is good I don't care if the person has kids or not, or how many, or how old or young they are. Good advice is good advice. I don't have a teenage child but I was a teenager, and went thru plenty of angst and rebellion, so maybe I still have something to offer. I don't have step-children but I was a step-child myself so maybe I can give a mom another perspective.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:31 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I think that advice is just that advice which is one persons opinion. I appreciate when I get advice, I don't always agree or think that person gave me the best advice but I still thank them and ask someone who maybe sees things in another way. Now I hate it when someone gives you advise when you didn't ask for it... Bugs me! :D Lol
    sugarfox72

Answer by sugarfox72 at 10:28 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I don't think anyone should be giving people advice, unless they ask for it, that would annoy me especially if its a topic concerning more then one child & they only have one & don't really get your situation or have been through something similar to really know, if this makes any sense! : )
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:30 PM on May. 1, 2011

• i've never thought of it that way. kuddos to you for thinking outside of the box. you're a smart woman.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 11:12 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I guess that would depend on the tone, it would depend on the person (are they a friend who has my best interest in mind) and it depends on the advice they are offering.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:44 PM on May. 1, 2011

• JoLee12345....who in the world are you talking to?
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 12:31 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Really Jolee?! Thanks for a great laugh!
    1stTimeMama2010

Answer by 1stTimeMama2010 at 8:58 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Really Charlynne, you are out of your mind! As the everyone you know has become aware of! And the fact is I wasnt talking to anyone specifically, it was a point that I had to make! Had this discussion with someone earlie!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:02 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Hahahahaha. You really crack me up! Everyone I know? Who is that? Last I checked I still have plenty of friends. I'm nit going to fight with you on the Internet. You live you "life" on here. K sweety? Then you have your real life. I don't have to put that out here but stop trying to make other people feel bad because you're interet tough.
    1stTimeMama2010

Answer by 1stTimeMama2010 at 9:08 AM on May. 2, 2011