Recovering after c-section..

What are some do's and dont's to follow after a c-section? What will help me feel better faster? or slow down the process?

sarahlu

Asked by sarahlu at 10:53 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Health

• Just pay attention to your body. You are your best advocate. I was standing at my sink doing dishes the day I came home (3 days pp) and walking around the block at 5 days pp. I handle and tolerate pain extremely well and was only taking Darvocet for pain about once a day otherwise I was using Tylenol or Motrin.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:00 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I had 3. Don't bend over, don't lift the baby, let someone hand it to you. Try not to walk around,and do too much too soon, you will end up back in bed! It's not gonna be easy to get comfortable for a few days, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Get lots of rest, lots of fluids, eat regularly,things that will help you get your strength back. For me, what helped me more than anything was,when I got home, DH helped me take a shower,and wash my hair. Even though I did in the hospital,there is just nothing like doing that at home! Best wishes,and congrats on your little one!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 11:02 PM on May. 1, 2011

• ok Ive had 4 c-sections...u need to get up and walk around when they tell u to! after that just take ur pain meds as prescribed and do not do any heavy lifting..rest your body as much as you can..i enjoyed breastfeeding too that helps your uterus go back down quickly and i lost all my weight from pregnancy after 1 week of bfing!! hope this helps~!
    MOMMYOF4123456

Answer by MOMMYOF4123456 at 11:02 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Don't do too much, it will hurt and might cause you to tear. Sleep with a body pillow to support your belly if you have to sleep on your side. Try to walk as much as you can, just don't over do it, it will help you heal faster.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:02 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Well, for starters, my recovery was MUCH easier than I expected. One recommendation I have is to it to get up and move (slowly) as soon as you can. I was walking as soon as I would...that night, actually. My doctor said it was actually really good for me to do so. I also took pain meds BEFORE I felt the pain. You want to be ahead of the pain, always, and don't be afraid to ask for the meds. Take it really easy and don't do anything that doesn't feel right. If it feels like you're overdoing it, you probably are. Follow the post-op instructions as perfectly as you can. I did, and I healed quickly and my scar is hardly noticeable. Within two weeks, I felt like I had never had the surgery.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:04 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Oh..and best of luck and don't worry. It's really not as bad as you'd imagine. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

• Oh, oh, oh. And another thing. This is sort of TMI, but you asked, so I'll be honest and tell, lol. You are going to be sore and the last thing you want to do is put any pressure on your muscles. Ask for stool softeners immediately. After the surgery you're likely to be constipated, and the pain meds don't help. Trust me, you'll be glad you asked for them, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:06 PM on May. 1, 2011

• The two biggest things are WALK and NO HEAVY LIFTING OR STAIR CLIMBING!!! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:55 AM on May. 2, 2011