• In the Spotlight:

Am I tooting my own horn? (kind long sorry)

Earlier i was on the phone with one of my girlfriends. We were just chit chatting about the weekend, the kids, spring break things of the sorts. Out of the blue she said D, let me tell you what my daughter did, and she went on to tell me that while getting wet outside with the neighborhood kids and her daughter had taken her shirt and was running around and playing like there was nothing wrong. Mind you her daughter is 7. I was shocked and tickled because the first thought that came to mind was my daughter (6) would have never done that. I didn't think that to be cocky, I thought it because I have a totally different style of parenting then most, and my kids have been taught right from wrong according to age. And making the wrong choice will get you punished and or disciplined how I see fit . an hour or so went by and our conversation ended and My daughter asked if she could call my friends daughter i told her she was in trouble and i guess out of curiosity she asked why and i told her she was outside playing with no shirt on my daughter looked at like a deer in headlights and said "momma if that was me you would have whooped my behind no mom like for reals my behind, behind'' I laughed and said Im glad you know that she shock her head and went back in the living room. Omg I laughed so hard. II guess my question is is is cocky or confident to know with out the shadow of a doubt certain things your kids just will and wont do?

timbrikaylamom

Asked by timbrikaylamom at 11:14 PM on May. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• sometimes kids will do something just because you never told them specifically that they couldn't do it. this one woman told me her little boy was in his room and decided he was going to open his dresser drawer and pee in it. when she asked him why he did it, he told her that she never told him he couldn't pee in his dresser drawer. lol. but at the same time, i know my daughter wouldn't pee in her dresser drawer because she knows i would beat her. haha
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 11:24 PM on May. 1, 2011

• What's so wrong with a 7 year old taking off their shirt? Unless she's already started puberty, there's no difference there. And quite frankly, it's a bit sexist that men (who sometimes have bigger chests than I do) are allowed to take their shirts off but we as females aren't.

But it's a 7 year old, nothing's going to happen if she takes hers off. I'd also be concerned about your daughter thinking you'll whoop her ass when she's 6.
    Uhura

Answer by Uhura at 11:21 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Kids are never 100% reliable, but it is a good sign if you can predict their behaviors...for the most part. It always makes me feel good when my children demonstrate that they can make the right decisions too, especially without peer pressure. I don't think it is cocky. This is what you are supposed to do as a parent. Give them enough freedom as appropriate and hope you have done well enough that they choose the right paths!

You were just pleased to have it confirmed that your child has some good sense, even at a young age!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:24 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I feel sorry that your DD lives in fear of being beaten. That is nothing to be proud of!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:29 PM on May. 1, 2011