Fight for bed...need help asap!

my daughter is 19 months old now and every now and then she has these awful fights with me about sleeping,even if i put her in the bed with me as i watch tv{like our normal routine} tonight really just topped the cake. she wailed,kicked,screamed at the top of her lungs, flopped around like a fish,and refused to lay down and go to sleep for 2.5 hrs total. i was about to pull my hair out when her dad came in and for a few minutes she loved up to him until she realized that yes it was bed time for everyone and Lord help us she went at it all over again. i got so frustrated i had to get away so i put her in her room on her bed,and gave her a few mintues to scream it out on her own and a moment for me to calm down too. after five mintues she was still wailing away,my husband tried to rock her, and finally i took her and went back to our bed,told her that this is our last chance or she will sleep in her bed and thats final. she took her drink sniffled for a lil bit and finally passed out with her cup. please someoen tell me a remidey to help fix these tantrums! we have anothe rone coming in less than 5 months and the last thing that needs to be going on is a screaming war between the two every night....please any advice?!

bamamommy2009

Asked by bamamommy2009 at 11:42 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If my DD throws fits at bedtime I put her in her room by herself and let her stay there and cry it out for 10 mins or so. By the time I go back she is usually grateful that she can lay with me and will calm down. She rarely does it anymore because she knows that I don't tolerate temper tantrums, especially at bedtime.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:45 PM on May. 1, 2011

• thats how it normally works with mine, i can put her in her bed, or threaten it if she is miss behaving but tonight NOTHING worked, she worked herself up so bad we were affraid she was going to throwup{ there have been fits where she has and we just worry}
    bamamommy2009

Comment by bamamommy2009 (original poster) at 11:48 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Oh yeah, I have no patience's when it gets that bad ... I just let her go for longer by herself. Usually she's so exhausted and by the time she gets what she wants she cries even more. Good luck, but next time I def recommend leaving her longer ... to help your sanity at least lol
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:51 PM on May. 1, 2011

• ok thanks! we will def try!
    bamamommy2009

Comment by bamamommy2009 (original poster) at 11:54 PM on May. 1, 2011

• if there are two of you at home while dinner is cooking, have one of you run her around as hard as possible. then sit down at dinner (this will start to calm her down from the running) then after dinner do a nice warm bath with less light than what was at dinner, then read with only a small amount of light and finally sing a few songs while rubbing her back in almost no light (or if she will allow it absolutely no light) or you can do like me and let her go to sleep when she is ready lol... either way good luck!
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 11:54 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My daughter is 2 years and 9 months and my new one is 2 weeks. This transition with my big girl I sooooooo hard. Good luck.
    aprilavenmarg

Answer by aprilavenmarg at 11:59 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Seeing a relexologist may help. They can teach appoints to help her calm down to sleep. It has helped my 2 year old in just 2 days
    aprilavenmarg

Answer by aprilavenmarg at 12:01 AM on May. 2, 2011

• The fact that she sleeps with you may be a big part of the problem to begin with. I had issues with DS staying in bed when we switched from crib to bed but we used the "Stay in bed" technique. You go through your bedtime routine (snack, bath, story, bed in our case) tuck them in, say goodnight, and leave the room. They come out the first time, you say "It's bedtime darling" and put them back. The second time, a firm "it's bedtime" and put them back. From the third time on, you say nothing and put them back. Make no mistake, it will be a long night, but you have to remain consistent and eventually, she will understand that you are not going to give in and fall asleep. It took three nights for our son to get it but it may take longer for your DD since she's used to sleeping with you. It'll be hard but in the end it's worth it, leaving space for you and dad to have some alone time and make her more independent and confident. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:01 AM on May. 2, 2011

• No No she doesnt stay in the bed with us, normally at the end of the day before my husband comes home from work{normal basis that is} i will let her come lay down in my bed while i work on the computer or watch tv just to lay down and relax and once she is out then we move her she doesnt sleep WITH us
    bamamommy2009

Comment by bamamommy2009 (original poster) at 12:03 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Oh. Okay. My bad.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:09 AM on May. 2, 2011