Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How long will it take my 2 yr 9 mo to adjust to 2 week old sister

Sometimes she's so loving toward her, other times she's rough and so clingy just wants mommy or daddy everyone else is given a big attitude. I'm getting really overwhelmed and thin I should have waited longer for baby 2. Please Helpmann suggestions or times frames will help if u have experienced that. All I feel is guilt and inadequacy.

Answer Question
 
aprilavenmarg

Asked by aprilavenmarg at 11:57 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 6 (112 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Well going from my experience it took no time for my 2 yr old to get adjusted to his little brother he was so happy. To this day it's his baby, he loves him and is such a great little helper. But my cousin on the other hand it took her little boy about 4 months to get used to the baby but he still has jealousy (or a early case of sibling rivalry as i call it) and his little sister is a year old now.
    mrsbean08

    Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:06 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • I have three kids all two years apart so I have been there too. I don't know if it's a matter of adjusting and then the process is over. The sibling relationship is always adjusting as kids grow. I know my son was not that intersted in his baby sister when she was first born, then he got more involved with her when she was old enough to smile and laugh and interact, and then he loathed her like the plague when she got old enough to crawl and get into his toys, and then he decided she was a pretty decent playmate when she was old enough to toddle behind him and follow his directions. Now at age 9 and almost 7, they get along well 90% of the time and irritate each other the other 10%- which I think is pretty good! Don't feel guilty. You've given her a real gift- a sib to grow up with. And the relationship between them will alternately drive you nuts and make you tear up with joy. It will get easier. Hang in there!
    Freela

    Answer by Freela at 12:26 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • i just had my second daughter on the 4 of april but my oldest which shes two isnt jealous or nothing i mean everyonce in a while she gets mad at me but just give her time she has to get used to that she dont get all the attion now but shell stop have you tried letting her help with the baby or telling her that she can do alot of stuff when the baby gets older and she can teach her how to crawl walk talk ect thats what idid with my oldest girl thru out my preg and i still do and i let her help when ever she can but just hang in there shell stop and get use to the new baby
    myangelelena

    Answer by myangelelena at 4:21 AM on May. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN