Which is a better risk?

I sell books at fairs and festivals. I have been doing this for sometime now, but due to the rise in the popularity of the electronic book readers my sales have dropped.
Now I have a choice. At one shot shows (one day) I tend to make a decent profit. At weekend fairs I can either make a lot or a little due to the costs of the fair itself. My online sales have been slow this season, and the fairs/festivals normally keep me afloat, but this year I've had three bad shows in a row. So I am trying to find something for every weekend this season.
In one month I can either go to 3-day event that I just made table(costs) for last year that did result in a few additional sales in the year and a lot of good contacts. The problems w/that fair were lack of advertising,the weather & charging the same price for 1 day & 3 days. Everything but the weather has been fixed.
or I can go to a one shot that is in a different area than I'm used to (new market), costs less & has a smaller attendance, BUT the person in charge of the committee running it doesn't care for vendors too much so there won't be much in the way of competition.
Both are equal distances from my store.

Which one is the better risk? Both have the potential of future sales (via online) and both are out of my comfort zone of travel which makes it a market that I haven't glutted yet.
Let me know.
Thanks.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 12:19 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• As a former librarian and book collector, I'm sorry to hear that you, like so many other booksellers, are feeling the pinch. That said, upon reading your dilemma, I wonder if going to the new location might be useful--yes, the committee chair may not be favorable toward vendors, but you'd have an opportunity to make contacts in a new area. Also, that individual may not, in the end, make as much of an impact on your sales as you fear. Obviously, as you point out, there are risks to both ideas, but since you asked, that's my two cents. I wish you the best of luck. What's your website?
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:08 AM on May. 2, 2011

• My personal website is down again due to bugs. Always pay for good help that is the lesson here! My secondary one is www.alibris.com/stores/ag3ntppb
    I'm also on Facebook as ECampbell Books in Maryland.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 10:14 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I would go with the 1 shot one.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:58 AM on May. 2, 2011

• 1 shot
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 11:48 AM on May. 2, 2011