If you're a Christian...

...do you truly follow this...

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13:34, 35) ?

or

"You shall not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD." (Leviticus 19:18)

Are you able to? Do you find it difficult?

Those who are not Christians, do you think these are good words to live by regardless?

IS it possible to have love and compassion for everyone?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:25 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I am a Christian but I admit I am not a TRUE Christian because I do not follow the Word of God 100%. for example I have a lot of anger issues and I know thats against a lot of what God wants us to feel, and how he wants us to act.... so yeah it is hard for me, and I strive to be a better Christian, I try everyday. I know it will get easier a little, everyday and if I keep working on it, someday I WILL be a true Christian.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:32 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I do think it's good advice to follow, and I do my best to follow it, though obviously I fall short on some accounts. I find it easier to have love and compassion for people who I might not necessarily 'like' when I remind myself that we are all human, we are all fallible, we all make mistakes, we all have baggage, and under different circumstances we too might be someone that from our present circumstance we dislike. To quote the Dalai Lama: "If you want to be happy, practice compassion. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion." It's better for us and better for everyone else if we love rather than hate.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:35 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I am a Christian but I admit I am not a TRUE Christian because I do not follow the Word of God 100%. for example I have a lot of anger issues and I know thats against a lot of what God wants us to feel, and how he wants us to act.... so yeah it is hard for me, and I strive to be a better Christian, I try everyday. I know it will get easier a little, everyday and if I keep working on it, someday I WILL be a true Christian. "

That doesn't mean you're not a true Christian. No one is perfect, and the god in the Bible addresses that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:35 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Yes it is possible to love and be compassionate to everyone. With Christ living in you.. it is through HIM we are able to love like He does and be compassionate like He does.
    I do my best to love all.. even those on here. I have never hated anyone... I find it harder to hate people then it is to love them. Do I dislike what people do sometimes yes but I still love them regardless of what is said to me. I have a strong gift of mercy and compassion that puts me into tears at times... even with people on here.
    As for the no one is perfect thing :-) If we truly read the bible the opposite is true... God is perfect, Jesus living in us is perfect ... we are one with Christ.. then what does that make us.... PERFECT! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:14 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Shaneagle, are you trying to tell me that you love me?

LOL. :)~
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 1:18 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I sure try.. it's not always easy though :/
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:28 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Yes, I believe it's possible to have love and compassion for everyone. Even as a non-Christian (former Christian), I believe these are good words to follow. I still follow many of Jesus' teachings, and find wisdom in many other religions and philosophies, though I relate to Pantheism and Buddhism the most.

"All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives." ~ Dalai Lama

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." ~ Dalai Lama

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." ~ Dalai Lama

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:08 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I lost my internet connection right when I hit enter and lost my response :(

The idea of love and compassion, it is the very foundation of my faith, of my entire worldview. I know I don't always live up to it, but I certainly do try. I believe very strongly that everyone deserves to be loved and treated with kindness, and feel that, out of all Jesus came to show us, this idea of being loving, compassionate, kind, and gracious is the most important part. Not just for some Divine, otherworldly reason, but because we are all connected here, together, as fellow man, united by our humanity and our ability to be humane. I believe the ultimate reflection of Divinity is a fully realized humanity, one that embodies those virtues of love and compassion, those things that make us humane. And, not even doing it to try to be "good" or "Godly", I believe in doing it because it really is the way people should be treated - with kindness...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:48 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I am a perfect example of loving and having compassion for every one that comes my way.

Answer by older at 9:50 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I don't find it difficult to be this way, to me it comes naturally.

Answer by older at 9:51 AM on May. 2, 2011