Is it wrong...

is it wrong to be glad someone is dead?

if you havent heard yet, Osama bin Laden is dead...killed by the US & it was confirmed by DNA to truly be him. and while im very patriotic & proud for some closure to the horrors of 9/11...is it wrong to be glad someone is dead? as DH & i watched the news i saw footage of ppl gathered outside the White House cheering, jumping around, waving flags, etc.

when is too much happiness over someone's death, even a horrible person like Osama, detrimental to one's spirituality...or is it?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 12:34 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Religious Debate

• "I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."-- Mark Twain

I don't know. I guess everyone has to decide that for themselves. I generally prefer non-violent responses and I do have mixed feelings about this too. I also fear retaliation, and know that someone else is probably just waiting in the wings to take his place; so while it's symbolic and meaningful for our country after all these years and OBL harmed so many people, I'm not sure what difference it will make in the long run that he's gone when many more are like him and follow him. Several of my friends have posted the above quote ^, obviously struggling with this themselves, and I think it's a good quote. While I'm not sure about celebrating in the streets over it, I had a momentary sense of relief over hearing the news--though it was fleeting when I started to wonder what next?
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:55 AM on May. 2, 2011

• american flag ribbonREMEMBER the "lord" led the children of Israel into battle against their FELLOWMEN?????? HMMMM? don't even try. i see where you are going with this. OBAMA YES WE CAN!!!!!!!! THANK U TROOPS.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:37 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I heard there are fireworks and bands in some places, and I think that's taking it a little too far, especially when this death might lead to retribution and more american deaths.
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 12:44 AM on May. 2, 2011

• In the case of a mass murderer like Bin Laden.....no, but it may be pre-mature.   There will always be another religious nutcase ready to step into his shoes.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:42 AM on May. 2, 2011

• When I see those people (americans) cheering it reminds me of the people cheering when the towers went down. We are no different than the terrorists. I am not rejoicing in his death. I will not celebrate it. I want to be better than that.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:43 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I think more than anything, it's a sense of relief. People aren't necessarily celebrating a death (although of course many are) but celebrating the end, and the relief that comes with knowing he can't harm another person.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:41 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Normal circumstances, yes. This circumstance, Hell NO!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:35 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I agree, above statements by AimBre and add it just shows how shallow people can be.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:48 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I'm having a hard time with it....

I'm not sure it's "wrong", but I do think it causes us to lose sight of humanity for a minute. Being able to revel in the death of a fellow human, no matter how awful that person may have been or how much they may have deserved it, it's not something I'm able to do.....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:35 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I was actually wondering about this last night as I read roves of "I hope he burns in hell let's party" statements coming from people. Yes he was a terrible man that did terrible things, but for those who believe in an afterlife they can rest assured he will be judged and "punished" accordingly. Shouldn't we as people, strive to be above the kind of person he was and strive to forgive him for his actions knowing justice has been served rather than add fuel to the fire he created by celebrating?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:35 AM on May. 2, 2011