Mirena? kinda nervous 'bout it

So I had our son 4 months ago and I'm not on BC yet... we're just using condoms... I was considering Mirena because a few other mom's have suggested it... But i'm very nervous. Before our son i was on the shot... and it gave me ovarian cysts and depleted my calcium which has caused me to get several cavities... I was wondering if any moms on mirena could share their experience... I'm very skeptical about this BC because of the shot, along with the fact that I've heard when u first get mirena placed its very painful during and after...

molly_beth13

Asked by molly_beth13 at 12:46 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Health

• I have had merina twice. Its not painful..its just extremely uncomfortable. it my opinion. Its a big pinch when they open your cervix to insert it. I had bad cramps afterwards but just like period or afterbirth ones just from my uterus getting used to it. But i love it. the small amount of uncomfortable is well worth the freedom of mind of not getting pregnant. With my first time I stopped getting my period within 3 months and with this one I've had it in since Feb. but still getting my period. When i got it removed the last time it was no problem i didn't even feel it! I wouldn't trust any other kind of BC. simply because I dont have the patience for the pill, I am too heavy for the patch, I will NEVER go with the shot (have heard HORRID stories) and i dont trust the nuva ring. Condoms..they break and everything else has a long protection rate! so i'd recommend it! good luck
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 3:03 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Thank you! And yes the shot is HORRIBLE I was on it and I totally regret it! I didn't gain weight from it, but I have one cyst on each ovary now and my teeth are rotting out of my face from the calcium depletion... not to mention the lebido, or lack there of... I NEVER wanted sex when i was on the shot... I highly advise all of my friends to find a different kind of bc when they ask me about the shot.
    molly_beth13

Comment by molly_beth13 (original poster) at 10:29 PM on May. 5, 2011