Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I try to leave so he threatens to take my daughter away? I NEED ADVICE PLEASE. Kinda long.

I have my own reasons for why I was set and ready to leave my husband, we had talked about it before, and had always agreed to share joint custody of our daughter when the time came. I told him I was leaving/moving on Friday, I was working, so he picked my daughter up from my parents house where they were watching her for us.. Guess he decided to have an emotional meltdown there, my parents aren't supportive in any way toward me... they told him to not only file for the divorce but for soul custody of my daughter & they'd help him with everything. They told him to take everything away from me so I know what it feels like. I'm a very good mother and have been the main care provider for my daughter since birth. Is this possible for him to even do this? I've been intimidated to the point where I can't leave because I'm terrified of losing her!


Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Consult a LAWYER ASAP!!!!!!!


    Answer by Crafty26 at 12:59 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • I agree. Go see the lawyer without his knowledge. As the lawyer to help you with everything. You have to have a plan in hand before he even realizes what you are doing.

    Answer by m-avi at 1:08 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • Go to a lawyer ASAP! My stbxh threatened to take my daughter from me too. I was lucky though because as soon as this happened my mom told me to pack our bags and move in with her. My brothers and sisters were there that day to help me pack. We were moved out in 3 days. Keep a journal document EVERYTHING. Do you have anybody you can trust to help you? If so ask them for help but get to a lawyer immediately! Do not let him bully you.

    Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:09 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • In many areas there is legal aid that can get you in touch with lawyers who will work pro bono (free or low cost). Check with your local woman's shelter too for legal help. Do all this without his knowledge. Have all the paperwork in place before doing anything.

    Answer by Keksie at 7:44 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • i dont know where you live but in cali the man has no say the mom gets the kids and like the other said go see a lawyer and i hope ever thing gos will for you .

    Answer by lilangel19 at 1:31 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • Just a thought from experience...... DONT LET YOUR GUARD DOWN. IT has been known that the hubby still plans on following through with this.YOU need to see how to go about filing for custody NOW. just saying he could possibly take her and leave anyways and unless you have documents stating she stays with you he may get away with it. * not to scare you but you need to act fast on this*

    Answer by kkbird at 1:44 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • I have learned that fathers are starting to have more rights, and custody than you think also.

    Answer by kkbird at 1:45 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • There is no way in hell he will get FULL custody if you are a fit parent. They have to have major proof of abuse in order to take a kid away from EITHER parent. The courts are all about sharing kids, and joint custody. I would not worry. Good luck.

    Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:55 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • wow your own parents are siding with him, not knowing the full details as to why you want to leave the marriage. i would consult an attorney and make sure that your parents don't have any contact with your child as well. i can't believe that. wow they must really hate you.

    Answer by lucky35 at 4:27 PM on May. 2, 2011