To spank or not to spank?

The way I see it is if you discipline your 2 year old, you are a violent person and belong in jail and if you don't, you have a rotten, spoiled brat...... what do you do?!?!?! I personally discipline.... how I was raised, and I'm just fine...

MomOfMonkeys811

Asked by MomOfMonkeys811 at 1:52 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• We spank....dont have to do it very often but we do spank
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 1:58 AM on May. 2, 2011

• it's humiliation - not discipline. There are better ways then abusing a child. I didn't spank, and my kids are FAR from spoiled brats. They are very polite, well behaved children. There are better ways!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:00 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Spanking is not ABUSING a child..People never cease to amaze me..
    GiannasMommy06

Answer by GiannasMommy06 at 2:07 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Thanks for the input. Crafty, what did you do? And I'm not saying that I think its abuse but that was a response i got when my daughter ran out in the parking lot at the grocery store and i gave her a swat.
    MomOfMonkeys811

Comment by MomOfMonkeys811 (original poster) at 2:14 AM on May. 2, 2011

• There is a difference between spanking and abuse. I was spanked, but NEVER abused. I was also never humiliated. I never felt anything but love from my parents.

With that being said, I don't want to ever have to spank my son. I'm hoping other disciplinary methods work before spanking. I also think that toddlers are too young to spank.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:20 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I was spanked and abused. I know the difference. But in the same respect do you smack a hand when it's about to get into something? Or a swat on the backside when they just won't listen? Discipline is all sorts and I just want to know what is appropriate and for what age group.
    My 2 yo spends 50/50 with me and her dad. We have VERY diff. styles of parenting and when she is at my house she knows there is structure and discipline and at his its a party, its fun.... I send an angel I get a spawn, high on sugar and McDonalds.
    MomOfMonkeys811

Comment by MomOfMonkeys811 (original poster) at 2:27 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Spanking in my family is last resort. Except My uncle doesn't believe in spanking or even putting his kids on time out and BOY are these kids BAD and spoiled rotten. I got really mad at him yesterday they were teasing my 3 year old with toys and making him cry(they are 5 and 9). My uncle and aunt did not do a thing! I think something like that deserves a time out! If they continued then a spanking but it won't happen for them they will just get another toy or electronic! Lets just say I will not be bringing my boys around them anymore without me there at all times!

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 2:53 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I support spanking :)
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 3:10 AM on May. 2, 2011

• This is such a hard issue. My parents view what they did to me as spanking. I was beaten with extension cords and anything my mother or father could get their hands on. My mother was fond of digging her nails into my arms so that if I tried to break away I'd have cuts from her claws...sometimes she just grabbed my hair and held it while she pummeled me. They view this as spanking. I see it as child abuse.
    I don't spank...but I don't believe I see all spanking as abusive. For me personally, I didn't want to hit and teach hitting as a way to get submission and I sought out and found alternative methods of teaching discipline to my children. My kids are adults now and none of them were ever in any kind of trouble.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:32 AM on May. 2, 2011

• i'm also a believer that spanking isn't abuse now saying that it also depends on what you call spanking a tap on the but and a very stern no is fine but I've seen parents in stores pull back there hands and hit a child sending them sprawling along the floor so makes you want to do the same to the parents but thats just my opinion
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 4:08 AM on May. 2, 2011