How would you handle it?

So a months ago I gave this lady one of those inflatable jumpers for her kids. I was having a garage sale this weekend, this lady comes up to me and tells me that the jumper has a leak and she wants to know how I was going to make it right. I say excuse me, she said it has a leak and wants her money back. I was shocked that she would show up after a month of having it and expect money. I told her sorry but I will not give you money back for something you did not pay for, I gave it to her for free. She kept telling me I needed to make it right. When I kept refusing to give her money she then walked away. Next thing I know she was back and told me that I needed to make it right that she already called the police and made a report on me. I told her once again I will not give her money back on something she didn't pay for. She got mad and started calling me stupid and told me she knows where I live, she then got in her car left. Funny thing is later that day she has it listed on Craigslist selling it for $15 and it is full of air. What I feel stupid about is feeling sorry for her I have given her many items for free as she was telling everyone her husband passed away and she has 7 kids but come to find out she has one kid and her husband is alive. How would you handle something like this? All I could really do is look at her in shock that she wanted money back for something she got for free.

hosein

Asked by hosein at 4:11 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Wow, there's really nothing you can do except chalk it up to an experience in craziness! Obviously this woman has issues! Don't feel stupid though as you were going by what she was presenting and some of us like to believe what we're being told...it's not ignorant, it's just naive, or giving them the benefit of the doubt. Sadly, there are just bad people in the world and she's one of them...taking advantage of a situation by manipulating the facts. You did NOTHING wrong. Sleep well at night with that knowledge. (((HUGS!)))
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 4:17 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Next time she tells you something comfront her about your findings and then tell her to f**k off.
    youngmoma07

Answer by youngmoma07 at 4:19 AM on May. 2, 2011

• i would be in shock too.. wow some people... well i would just remember who she is and never give, sell, buy anything from her.. you can't really do anything cause you did giv eit to her.
    hoobasweet

Answer by hoobasweet at 4:20 AM on May. 2, 2011

• WOW, at the first meeting I am not sure what I would have said or done BUT at the second (where she said she "called the police"), I most definitely would have laughed in her face and most likely told her "go away now"! That is just ridiculous, what she should be saying to you is a big ol' "THANK YOU"! But hey that is just my opinion, I know as a mother of ONE toddler myself........I am super grateful to receive any clothing/toys for my son.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:26 AM on May. 2, 2011

• The people at the garage sale were laughing at her and when my mother and I looked at each other after she left we just started laughing. We just could not believe this lady. I have never been in a situation like this and wanted to know how someone else might of handled it.
    hosein

Comment by hosein (original poster) at 4:32 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I would look at her and say something like "oh, good - I'm glad you called the cops. Why don't we wait for them and we can see what they say - if they think I need to give you money on top of giving you a bounce toy for FREE, and see what they have to say about you being a trespassing, peace disturbing, con artist trying to hustle me not only out of a toy but now wanting money as well..." Tell you what, why don't I go ahead and call them, too, to see if we can get them to come here a little faster..."

I would also not have anything to do with her, and if you see any ads or anything from her claiming to be a widow with 7 kids (and you know it's not true) on Craigslist, I would report her there for fraud (if it's something you can do there - I don't use Craigslist, so I don't know what their rules are on this...)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:01 AM on May. 2, 2011

• oh - lol - I think I would have also asked her if she was drunk or just delusional....
    sailorwifenmom

• Good answer Sailorwifenmom!

Believe me.....I've just LOOKED at Craigslist cause a friend was always talking about the freebies she does get on there on CURB ALERTS........and Ive read many many ads where people pick up this stuff.......for free.....and turn around and SELL the items to make money! From the totally crappy stuff to the good stuff!

One man once wrote...You can't con a con......I'll follow EVERY ad you post on here and let them know how you are and what you do with OUR free stuff in the city. You may as well get off here and have a garage sale!

Too funny! People like that woman always try to get something for nothing and the cops ...should they show up if you ever call.... cops will kindly escort her OFF YOUR property and tell her not to return or a trespassing warrant will be issued to her. SHE is in violation. Not you.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 6:21 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I would have told her I GAVE the thing to you. You fix it on your own dime.
    After finding out she lied about how many kids she has and no dead DH.
    I would never give her anything else. And never talk to her again.

Answer by louise2 at 6:48 AM on May. 2, 2011

• you handled that situation like any other sane person would! only i think i would probably would of used some choice swear words! How is it that people are so ungrateful!
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 9:52 AM on May. 2, 2011