Being induced tomorrow, what to expect?

im almost 38 weeks. being induced because baby isnt thriving. im very confident in my drs decision with the induction. i was dilated to 2cms and 70% effaced my last visit (3 days ago) what should i expect? this is my first baby and im getting quite nervous and excited! :)

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 4:18 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• well with me, my water had broke and so we went to the hospital. after so many hours my cervix hadnt changed so they started pitocin in the iv. my contractions started and kept getting stronger and closer together. from then its up to you about numbing meds depending on the pain...and then your on your way to having a baby :)
    alandou

Answer by alandou at 4:24 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I had a wonderful induction experience. I got induced a week early due to I wanted my Dr. to do the delivery and I am very petite and my Dr. felt that if the baby got any bigger, I wouldn't be able to have her without a c-section. I was dilated 2 cm and 80% effeced when I got there. I got there at 7AM they started me on potocin and it didn't take long for the contractions to start and I started pushing at 2:30 and the baby at 3:20. I will probably get induced again with this baby! Good luck!!!!!!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 7:47 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Never been induced as this is going to be my first child, but I wish you luck!
    jessiskinner200

Answer by jessiskinner200 at 8:06 AM on May. 2, 2011

• My 3rd was induced due to concerns over size at 37 weeks. It was great! I was calm because I had time to plan and I knew my older 2 were well taken care of. They started the pitocin, my contractions started shortly thereafter, but the pain wasn't any harder, more intense, faster, etc. than they had been with my first 2 "regular" deliveries. I did have an epidural. I was only in labor for 5 hours (this was my 3rd delivery!) and she came out healthy and happy. It was wonderful. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 8:24 AM on May. 2, 2011

• http://ican-online.org/pregnancy/induction-labor

http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2009/7/6/pit-to-distress-your-ticket-to-an-emergency-cesarean.html

Those are just a couple links about the risks of an induction. Not that I'm trying to talk you out of it, but going in your should be fully informed of the risks. You can also do plenty to help reduce your risks of induction related complications.

http://www.hencigoer.com/articles/elective_induction/#risks - This article has a long list of things you can do to help avoid induction problems.

Waiting to get an epidural until as late as possible and staying mobile throughout labor is one of the ways you can help avoid the usual induction problems. Contraction brought on by synthetic drugs are much different than those occurring naturally. Make sure you have a good support team with you. Expect labor to last longer, if it doesn't, you'll be delightfully surprised.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 9:43 AM on May. 2, 2011