Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Silly birth certificates?

Here we go again, adoptees being told to be thankful they weren't aborted, and thankful someone chose to save us. And thankful to be a class of citizens discriminated against..

.Dont you love your adoptee enough to NOT tollorate that they are being treated as second class citizens? Dirty little secrets, stalkers, and preputual children?

There have been laws in place in our past that denied classes of people the same rights as others. Would you say women getting the right to vote was silly? And MLK efforts were silly? Ending slavery was silly? I'm sure there were people that shook their finger at activists and said "Be Thankful."

Restore adoptee rights to an Original unaltered TRUE certificate of birth EQUAL non-adoptees.

There's nothing silly in being in a country that was built on equality, and that means adoptees as well as non-adoptees.

"A right is not what someone gives you, it's something no one can take away"


Asked by adopteeme at 4:58 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Adoption

Level 16 (3,092 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (20)
  • As an adoptee myself, I just want to say Thank you for that.
    Do you know how much of a PAIN in th rear it is for me to get copies of my birth certificate if I ever need one?
    I have to go apply one day, and then I've always had to go back another day to actually get it (and I'm not talking about going to the county health department. I have to go the to State Health department and go down to the basement where the only office last time was "Death and Birth Records", which is actually NOT where other people would go to obtain their legal copy....
    Most of the time they have to have multiple clerks verify it's the correct document...
    All because it's an Amended Document.. It takes the better part of 2 days to get one piece of paper.

    Answer by jess_merrick874 at 5:06 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • anon: NO you can NOT just get your bc by ordering it by using your birth moms name in the info. I KNOW this. I tried it in the state of missouri.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • Restoring the rights of Adoptees to get their Original Birth Certificate has nothing to do with reunion. Birth Parents and Adoptees are successfully searching and reuniting regardless. And those that don't want reunion are rejecting it as they wish.

    Adopteeme is correct. This is a civil rights issue. No ones rights should come before an others. As a birth mother I should have no more rights to privacy from my son than I have from my twins. I should have no more right to privacy from my children than any other mother has from her children.

    Adoptees should have the same rights to their OBC as any non adopted person.

    Answer by onethentwins at 1:34 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • kids they do not get asked to see proof of a bc. Or shot records as one rediculous poster said. At least not within the U.S. And no we don't need a passport in the U.S. much? Get a clue. But when two white peeps are listed as the birth parents on paper you know security says hmmm...something is odd about this. They are just doing their job. But yes we fly with his adoption decree to explain the bc. I'm sensitive when another mom tells me I am wrong to want a bc to reflect accurately what our family is. By being untruthful on the bc issued, in our family situation, it leads to uncomfortable situations. If adoption is a normal way to create a family why don't have it on the certificate reissued. I am not ashamed of how our family came to be. I also know my black child will be questioned about his family should he run for office. He should have his obc.

    Answer by frogdawg at 10:16 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • I agree information should be available. But I do respect a woman's choice to not be contacted or found. I respect an adoptees right to try for contact. I think the middle ground is to have the info available and let birth families know there is more than a good chance adoptees will be contacting them...for medical or other reasons. A woman can always say no but at least an adoptee has basic info.

    Answer by frogdawg at 11:26 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • "anon: NO you can NOT just get your bc by ordering it by using your birth moms name in the info. I KNOW this. I tried it in the state of missouri. "

    I know this for a fact also-have tried it and got my amended one instead-even though I requested it using my original name and bmom's name. Only a very few states "allow" an adoptee to have THIEIR original BC.

    Answer by confused969 at 4:48 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • I know for a FACT that you can get your hands on your ORIGINAL birth certificate. The one with your birth parent's name on it.

    I placed my baby up for adoption 1 year ago. I have her ORIGINAL birth certificate. Her A.Mom has her altered one.

    Try searching for it by your birth mothers name (if you know it). They can't deny you from getting it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • Alaska, Oregon, Kansas, Alabama, New Hampshire and Maine are the only U.S. states where ALL adult adoptees have unrestricted access to their own original birth records. Other states have grandfathered in access (if you were born between the dates of such and such). Others allow with permission from parents. Natural and adoptive.


    Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 5:18 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • This state by state listing shows access to our records, with or without restriction

    Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 5:26 AM on May. 2, 2011

  • Jess, what state? I've never encountered a problem getting the fake BC.

    We should both be thankful that our fake ones were filed with the state in a timely manner. Post 9/11, adoptees are having trouble with identity verification using ammended if they were filed a year or more after birth.

    Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 5:36 AM on May. 2, 2011