How can I get my baby to enjoy and get good at"Tummy Time?"

I was told by my dr. to give my son "tummy time" every day, 3 times a day for however long I can stand to hear him cry since he hates it and cries the whole time. It's really hard to listen to him cry and he looks like his face is getting smooshed into the blanket on the floor and he hates it..I try to do it every day at least once but can't stand to listen to him cry. I don't wanna sabotage him by not doing it and making him not be able to meet his milestone (crawling). Any ideas for how to do tummy time to make it fun for him and for him to like it and not cry? Please help, thanks!

I ACCIDENTALLY POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG SECTION..MY SON IS ONLY 3 MONTHS OLD..I MEANT TO PUT IT IN THE BABIES (0-12MONTHS) SECTION.

wendyrmanning

Asked by wendyrmanning at 5:10 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get a Boppy Pillow and put him on the floor with it. Sit it under his arms and his chest, kinda like he's sitting up a bit. Put some of his favorite toys infront of him. You don't have to leave his side, but make sure you do give him the Tummy Time he needs.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 5:12 AM on May. 2, 2011

• My son hates tummy time too! He is 5 months now and rolls so he gets his tummy time for seconds at a time. He will get angry after a few seconds. Just keep at it! Also my first son did not crawl he scooted around a bit then started walking right away! So don't worry so much about crawling EVERY child is different!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 5:19 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Mine didn't always like being on the floor but if you put him on your tummy while you lie down or on your knees that counts too.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:33 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Actually, crawling is not a milestone. Just an FYI.

If you wear your baby a lot, it works the muscles the same as if he were having tummy time...as long as you wear him in an upright position. So, if he hates tummy time, do that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:36 AM on May. 2, 2011

• How old is your child? you posted this in the 1-2 age group....Tummy time is usually for ittle ones....I sat with my sons and gave them tummy time. my youngest didn't like it at first but we played and played and he got really good at keeping his head up. and to BradenisMySon....has your child crawled yet? lol It was totally a milestone! It felt so good to watch that lil butt run across the carpet!! lol
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:29 AM on May. 2, 2011

• What I mean is, crawling is NOT a developmental milestone that you have to worry about them achieving. Sitting up and walking are milestones.

And yes, my son is 15years old...LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:56 AM on May. 2, 2011

• My son hated tummy time until he figured out how to crawl. I wasn't so worried since he's a perfectly healthy little guy, so i just didn't force tummy time on him at all. One day, he rolled himself over onto his tummy and figured out how to get on his knees and from that day onward he LOVED tummy time. Now he's 16mo and running :)
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 4:32 AM on May. 4, 2011