Have to Vent!!! (Animal Vent)

I caregive for an elderly disabled woman who's never had children, but she has too many dogs! I get annoyed when she's constantly telling me that these DOGS are like her children. I find that hard to believe as having children has never been as easy as going to a pound and just picking one up! If I had a child that coughed for longer than a day, I'd take it to the doctor to see what's wrong, yet she has a dog that's coughed for over three months and still hasn't done a thing about it! If it were a child she'd be labeled as incompetent to care for it, but since it's a dog, it's no big deal and nothing will happen. Please help me deal with this crazy woman! Please no negative remarks or hatred, there's enough of that out there and I'm just seeking LOVING advice. Please. :)

Droyal14u

Asked by Droyal14u at 6:01 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• Alot of people do look at thier animals as family, my oldest sister doesn't have any kids but she has 2 dogs and a horse and i know they mean the world to her and she does treat them like her kids and even calls then that, no she isn't crazy, but i do see your point also. I guess if you believe the dog is sick then you need to encourage her to take him in to be seen. Maybe you can even offer to take him in for her.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:30 AM on May. 2, 2011

• My husband is like that with one of his dogs. It is upsetting, but when he travels with work, the dog becomes mine and I adore him. Don't tell my husband though.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:53 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Many people consider their pets their kids.This does not make them crazy. Why do you care so much what she calls them. She has every right to call them her children. This women could be lonely and they are her companions, her FAMILY. They should go to the vet but you said yourself she is disabled. Does she have any family that could help her by taking them? If so maybe you could talk to them. There are vets out there that do come to the home maybe that is the type of vet she needs for her children.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:13 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Too bad she can't get insurance coverage for her "children". Vet visits are costly, & that could be the reason why her baby hasn't gone to the Vet yet. But plz dont look down on her for how she feels about her pets. A lot of people feel that way, whether they have children or not. Pets provide unconditional love & don't talk back! -lol :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:21 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Many people (myself included) refer to their pets in some way as their childred. Since you are her caretaker maybe you could take the dog to the vet for her. It may be a heart problem or it could be worms. You may want to rethink your profession since caretakers to the disabled and elderly need to have compassion and understanding instead of being annoyed by their clients and call them crazy.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:53 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I feel the same way. I have a friend that has 3 cats and these cats are her life. She is married but has no kids and talks about her cats like they are her kids. I get it to a point but I never bonded with my cat the way she has. Maybe if I never had kids I would eventually become like that but to me my kids are my kids and an animal is an animal. I love my cat but lets face it my kids are my life.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 9:02 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I don't understand what your issue is, is it that she doesn't take care of the pets? My animals are family to me too. Just less maintenance than the kids!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:51 PM on May. 2, 2011