Osama Bin Laden DEAD! About time or timed political move? adult content

My son called me late last night to tell me the news. During conversation he asked me - "Who get's credit, cuz Obama was taking credit for it"

(I DID NOT SEE POTUS ON TV LAST NIGHT- EARLY TO BED EARLY TO RISE AROUND HERE)
So, I couldn't answer him.

I will say that the White House had to act on what they were told and decide to take the risk of going into Pakistan or not - and they did do that. Far as I know, the White House is supposed to be the final word on which countries we enter and which ones we don't - right?

AND LET ME JUST SAY - I DON'T WANT TO CLOUD THE ISSUE -- THE MAN RESPONSIBLE FOR 911 IS DEAD - AND I'M GLAD WE GOT HIM.
(DH said this morning that we should plant his sorry ass at Ground Zero and Rebuild the Towers on top of his rotting corpse! - now *that's* sending a message)

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 6:02 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• CNN just reported (5:04AM CST) that Bin Laden was buried at sea - careful to follow all religious ritual -- I presume to NOT disrespect the Muslim faith. I agree with that.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 6:06 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I really don't think it was a timed political move. Bush never found him during his presidency & would have loved to, obviously, this fellow was not easy to find. As much as some conservatives are going to tout that it was a timed political move, i just don't agree. I think they found an opening & went for it. Either way, I'm sure Obama is very glad all of this happened under his watch. I do think it will increase his overall ratings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Yeah - I hear ya. I do believe that O will take full advantage of the timing - but I have to say that OUR TROOPS GET THE KUDOS ON THIS ONE! Obama does not get the credit in my mind. This is about our feet on the ground - our husbands, brothers, sisters, moms, dads who serve EVERY day to keep this country safe - our intelligence working hard and keeping at it.

Bloodhound mentality in our military is what made this possible.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 6:14 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Of course the troops and intelligence get the credit and are the hero of the situation, but I think Obama does also, he is the head and final decision maker, if he hadnt made the call he wouldnt be dead.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:18 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I agree that Obama deserves kudos. Even though he was not there, he certainly was a big part of this mission....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on May. 2, 2011

• At the risk of being unpopular, I'm not sure that murdering another soul, and the others who died with him, really makes things right, in terms of 9/11. Consider all the millions of dollars and so many lives lost in the wars since that terror attack too. And by the time he was killed, he was pretty impotent. It seems a little empty and petty, somehow, to me.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 6:25 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Took long enough!!!!

Answer by louise2 at 6:27 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I think Anon posted a very good point when she said "...this fellow was not easy to find... I think they found an opening & went for it."

I also think that Obama had NO choice but to make the call -- can you imagine how hated he would find himself IF we EVER found out that there was this kind of window of opportunity and he Didn't act on it? -- so this decision was a no-brainer for the White House, a gimme (if you will) - like me or you being dead broke and finding a $100 in the park. So in a lot of ways I feel like the current administration just got lucky - it's not like we weren't already sniffing Bin Laden out, weren't already doing all we could to find and take him out - it's not like this administration *lead* the way. A FULL decade of hunting him down is what led to today.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 6:32 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I just woke up to the news this morning- and was a bit surprised to hear that we had intelligence on his location since Aug.! And that he was living in the lap of luxury in some compound, not cowering in a cave like the rat he was! While I feel a mix of emotions, from relief, to fear of retaliation against our troops or Americans overseas, I can't seem to get this song out of my head- "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead!" -lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:46 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Sure, but I DO remember a time where we could have had him before. It was just around the time we decided to invade Iraq.. All eyes turned and it was buried under the rug like it never happened. It was when I was just getting into politic, and there were a few friends of mine that actually over there at the time and they attested to it. They were told to stand down. Obama credit, why? Because he said go.. good for him, his last falling effort to save himself. Too bad he didn't decide to do it himself, then he COULD take the credit.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 6:58 AM on May. 2, 2011