How can I get my 3 month old son to enjoy and get good at "tummy time?"

I accidentally posted this under toddlers ages 1-2...I was told by my dr. to give my son "tummy time" every day, 3 times a day for however long I can stand to hear him cry since he hates it and cries the whole time. It's really hard to listen to him cry and he looks like his face is getting smooshed into the blanket on the floor and he hates it..I try to do it every day at least once but can't stand to listen to him cry. I don't wanna sabotage him by not doing it and making him not be able to meet his milestone (crawling). Any ideas for how to do tummy time to make it fun for him and for him to like it and not cry? Please help, thanks!

wendyrmanning

Asked by wendyrmanning at 6:17 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh dear, that's terrible. You don't "have to do" tummy time, especially if you can see he's not enjoying it. What you ought to do is when he is awake and alert and happy, try popping him onto his tummy just for a moment. If he likes it, continue. If he doesn't, pick him up, prop him up, whatever. But from time to time you should experiment with tummy time and one of these days you'll probably find he will like it, at least for a few minutes. Until then, don't make him suffer. Trust your mommy instincts!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 6:20 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I personally think 3 months is to young for "tummy time".   You doctor is stupid.

Answer by louise2 at 6:21 AM on May. 2, 2011

• There isn't an age that's too young for tummy time. I started my daughter with tummy time at 5 days old for just a few minutes per day. She did reach a point at a few months old to where she HATED tummy time, but we found different ways to entertain her. We also used this time to take her diaper off and let it air out some! =)

Babies should spend at least a little bit of time on their tummies every day from day one. For the first few weeks it only needs to be 5-10 mins. (it can be longer if baby is comfortable and happy on his/her tummy) and then gradually increase the amount of time as he/she gets older.

Try laying down on your tummy with your baby and encourage them to lift their head to look at you. When your baby gets a little older you can put brightly colored toys down on the floor and they will move their head around to look at the toys and grab at them.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:41 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Don't do it. I never did tummy time with my kids. They didn't like it. They all crawled and walked on time. They are all extremely athletic. I think tummy time is BS.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:08 AM on May. 2, 2011

• My kids all HATED tummy time, it took me 7 months to get my youngest to NOT scream when placed on his stomach. To this day they all would rather lay on their backs than their tummy. You might try starting him out on his tummy by laying on your back with him tummy to tummy with you and talking with him........ idk.
    Jenniy

Answer by Jenniy at 7:20 AM on May. 2, 2011

• We used a boppy pillow under the chest. With being propped up, my kids did better. I'd put toys in front of them so they had something to look at and reach for. The other thing I did with DD was to lay on my back and bend my legs so my knees were near my chest. I'd support her on my shins. I wasn't able to do this with my twins as it's hard to supervise the other and DD from that position.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:41 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Actually, crawling is not a milestone. Just an FYI.

If you wear your baby a lot, it works the muscles the same as if he were having tummy time...as long as you wear him in an upright position. So, if he hates tummy time, do that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:43 AM on May. 2, 2011