Is there anything you can use to put on your carpet that repels cats from peeing on it?

Cat keeps going back to same spot peeing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Pets

• After cleaning it up spray a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water....works great!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• try the vinegar like prev post said and windex.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• No. You will have to replace it. The vinegar might work for a little while, but she'll keep going back to it - it's the chemicals in the urine that attract her to the spot, and there's no way to permanently remove it. It goes all the way through the backing of the carpet and the padding underneath. You can ask a carpet cleaner to get a patch from your closet and switch it out with the piece the cat is peeing on, or just throw away the peed on patch and have a piece of carpet missing from your closet.
    Anonymous

• Oxi clean works well. get the carpet damp and sprinkle oxi clean, rub it in and let it set for a while. Repeat several times. It really works!
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the tips guys. I do have some Oxi clean, windex and some vinegar in my home already.
    Anonymous

• I had this same problem. He was peeing right beside the litter box. I cleaned it every single day. I was told that he didn't like going in there anymore because he was sharing it with my other cat. So I bought another one and that worked for a while but he started to pee on the same spot again. So we tried everything, vinegar, every cleaner imaginable, cat spray, pepper....nothing worked. I cut out the whole carpet from the closet, really cleaned the floor and he never went again.
    They smell their urine no matter what you use. It's the aminioes (terrible sp there...lol). Gotta get that out.
    MeeShee

Answer by MeeShee at 2:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Thanks for posting this question. I'm having the same problem and the answers helped!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Well when I was growing up,when we had cats & they would pee on the floor,my mom would put moth balls around in that area & it would work great,the cats wouldnt pee there again...I guess they dont like the smell.My mom would also put the moth balls in plants so the cats wouldnt chew on them,that worked also.But if you have small children I wouldnt suggest the moth balls unless they are very well hidden.
    amanda2780

Answer by amanda2780 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• if they smell their urine there, they will go, its not hard to litter box train a cat. Just use the oxi clean and clean it the you can where theres no smell. Vinegar works sometimes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3946918
    that stuff works wonders. it even removes skunk spray!
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2008