Is there anything to give a 3 year old for an ear ache?

She isn't crying, but she is telling me like once- three times a day her ear hurts. She told me once last month, but hat was it so I thought it went away because she hasn't said anything. Well she has been telling me for the past 3 - 4 days her ear hurts and I was trying to see if it will go away, but I don't think it is going too. I can't afford the doctor right now I already owe them like 100.00 from when my oldest got sick in March - April. Is there anything over the counter? Or if I call the doctor do you think I can just ask for a medicine over the phone? I think it might even be what her sister had her sister is 6 and had a sinus infection. I know my 3 year old keeps sneezing and when she sneezes snot comes out a lot comes out I know groose lol. But he coughing is getting better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• have her sleep on a warm water bottle. it helped my son a lot. if its an ear infection it will only get worse without antibiotics and the dr will only give those to you after seeing her.
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 7:47 AM on May. 2, 2011

• The warm water bottle works. There is also these ear drops that you can get from Wal-Mart for about $8. The brand is Hyland's I think and they are for all ages and are natural. They work wonders. You just put in a couple drops and you can put a cotton ball to keep it from running out and it starts working really soon.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 7:51 AM on May. 2, 2011

• You can give Tylenol or Motrin for pain. Ask the pharmacist to suggest something over the counter. Most doctors understand that you owe for your other child and wouldn't want to see this child loose their hearing over $.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:52 AM on May. 2, 2011

• PS, not all ear infections NEED antibiotics and MOST will go away on their own.

If you are nursing and kids, put a few drops of BM in her ear...if not, you can visit the doc, but, he will give antibiotics whether t helps or not.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:42 AM on May. 2, 2011

• The doctor always gives my son antibiotics for his ear infections called emoxicillin and I doubt you can get that over the counter, its not gonna get better without the meds but until then just try to keep baby comfortable, maybe some tylenol will ease the pain a little if you have that good luck mama
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 8:54 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I would hold off on the meds though because it might just be a cold or sinus problem not an ear infection , if a lot of snot and mucus comes out that's indication of a cold so some orange juice, a lot of liquids to keep baby hydrated that's the most important thing, they have nasal drops you can by with nasal bulb to clear mucus from nose and good luck
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 9:03 AM on May. 2, 2011

• You don't have to give antibiotics for an ear infection; in the end that does more harm than good. I wholeheartedly agree with a PP who said to get the Hyland's Ear Ache drops. They will work within a day!! I love them and will always recommend them :o) Breast milk is amazing as well, if you've got it.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:15 AM on May. 2, 2011

• will Hyland's Ear Ache drops make it go away? I mean if it is an ear infection will it make it go away?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:23 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Yes :o) And as always with Walmart, if you feel it didn't work for you, you can always return it. But I'm pretty sure you'll keep it - that stuff is awesome.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:32 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Ear infections will almost always go away on their own even with NO meds. The antibiotics are almost always given ONLY to keep mom's happy. They don't help the ear problem, just make it feel a little better and make mom not flip out on doctor. Giving too much anit's is the reason there are strains of stuff that anti's won't help and why some kids have to go through so many meds to find one that works. Most good doctors will tell you...ear infections should be left to heal on their own. And only give meds if it gets worse or you notice other symptoms too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:59 AM on May. 2, 2011