Has anyone's teen had a job without a having their license?

How did they get there and home, what kind of job was it, and where? Do you work as well? My DD desperately needs a job this summer, but hasn't yet taken the driving test...almost there, but not quite. No guarantee she will pass it. Both her Dad and I work...my schedule is erratic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes my son has a job at McDonalds. He has worked there since May 2010. He just got his license a couple months ago. I drove him to and from work, or he had friends take him, or his sister who also works there, or his grandparents.
    My dd also had a job at 16 and she walked to work.

Answer by gemgem at 7:35 AM on May. 2, 2011

• In NJ, you couldn't get a license until you turned 17. My mom drove us when we got jobs at 16.  My brother's friend worked with him and they sometimes shared a ride.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:48 AM on May. 2, 2011

• When I was 15 and 16 I worked at Burger King, then McDonalds. BK was about 5 miles away and I rode my bike. If it rained my parents drove me or I got a ride. McD was a bit closer, same deal
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:50 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Yes, mine did. I had to drive him and pick him up. It was too far to walk, and in the winter it was too cold. It was only for a few months until he got his license and his car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on May. 2, 2011

• My son is sixteen now but he has had a job, as long as i can remember. Before he got his licence we would give him a ride or he would ride his bike. Giving our kids a hand when it is needed really pays off in the end..................
    BJRowen

Answer by BJRowen at 8:19 AM on May. 2, 2011

• When i was a teen, i had a job at a restaurant, my mom, even though she had a hetic work schedule and 4 little kids to take care of, took me to work and picked me up. She tried her hardest to make it work for me and i bet she revolved her schedule around me if she had to.

I eventually worked at a school as a janitor and when i still didnt have my license, i was sure to get a job where my MIL had a job at and even she doesnt have her license so the FIL took us back and forth, sometimes the SIL or BIL would pick us up.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:31 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I worked from the time I was 14 (I worked for my mother before that). I didn't get my license until I was 26. If I wasn't working somewhere that I could walk to, which I usually did, either my mother or a co-worker would take me to and from. I wouldn't drive now if it weren't for the kids and the GIANT hill we live on.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:18 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I had a job before I could drive. I got the job to pay for my driver's ed etc. My father or a friend who I worked with drove me. It was at a hardware store a few miles from our house. It was literally the closest job to home I could get outside of babysitting at my parents house (which I never did).
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:33 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I can tell you that they won't hire unless they have RELIABLE TRANSPORTATION. So while you want your DD to have a job, YOU have to be prepared to transport them to and from work.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:09 AM on May. 2, 2011

• my kids are not that old, but i had a job before i could drive, and even once i could drive i did not have a car. i found a job that was close enough to home that i could walk or ride bike if my parents were not able to drive me. i held the same job from age 14 until after high school, and never had a car the whole time.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:14 AM on May. 2, 2011