Would you leave your 20 month old alone while you're in the other end of the house?

When its just me and my 20 month old son alone at home and I need to take a bath I never leave him alone. Our bathroom is at the end of the house that is away from everything else and I can't hear anything that goes on in the other end of the house when I'm in there. I'm just afraid he'll find something to get into that he shouldn't and he gets into EVERYTHING lol. I either leave the door to the bathroom open while he plays right outside of it and I can see and hear him or I let him play with some toys in the bathroom. I don't often take a bath when it's just me and him here, I usually wait for my husband to get home. But on days like today when I have a doctor appointment I have to get ready. Am I the only one who does this?

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 8:27 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you taking him to the dr w you? Just curious lol. I have done the shower thing too w the baby in the bathroom.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:31 AM on May. 2, 2011

• No, I drop him off with my dad before I go to the doctor. I've brought him a couple of times with me and he is a huge handful there. So anytime my parents offer to watch him when I have a doctor appointment, I take them up on it.
    tiffanynichols

Comment by tiffanynichols (original poster) at 8:36 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Not really sure what your question is...but I did what you are doing. My dd is eight now so I can take a bath with the door locked (gasp)
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:40 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I usually take a shower when DS is napping or try to get up before he does in the morning. Also, I have taken a shower with him before if needed.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 8:42 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I just put my son in his crib at that age, or put him on my bed to watch TV while I showered
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:59 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I do it as well. put them in a safe place and take a quick shower
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:06 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I left mine alone while I took a shower/bath. I left the bathroom door open so I could listen. The only things that they could get into were their bedroom and a couple of cabinets in the kitchen. The cabinets contained only pots/pans and plastic bowls. I don't know if your DS can open doors. If he can't, be sure to close all doors. If he can, lock all doors that you you don't want him to open.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:04 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I was the some way for the longest time because my DS know how to get into everything even if it's baby proofed. He'll be three in September and now if I need to take a shower or something I can just turn on his favorite cartoon!!
    PaCsSupermom

Answer by PaCsSupermom at 10:13 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I used to just put him in the tub with me,, I don't know if that is an option, but at this age he wouldn't be harmed by it.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:17 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I try to take mine either when DH is home or when they're napping, but if I need to, I would put him in his playroom and then take a quick one. I never shut the door though.
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:20 AM on May. 2, 2011