Does the riotous street partying bother anyone else?

I am grateful that OBL has been taken out of commission, one way or another.

But watching the footage of what seem to be more drunken young revelers than grateful, patriotic citizens is, well, disquieting. It seems so - crass? disingenuous?

I don't know whether I am more disappointed with the youth revelers - who seemed to just want an excuse for a party; many of them look like they would have been less than 15 years old on 9/11 - or the media who seem to be wanting to make this story line of people celebrating in the streets happen.

KateDinVA

Asked by KateDinVA at 8:40 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I saw coverage of the armed forces celebrating I think at their college or something? I think that was cool they have every reason to be proud. The people at Ground Zero and elsewhere drunk and acting stupid is low class to me.

Answer by gemgem at 8:42 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Most of those kids were younger than that...but i was only 16 when Osama's terrorism shook american soil and I remember the impact it had as still has on me to this day. My husband worked dilligently at getting justice served in a tour overseas, and many of us can attest to this. Who cares how old these kids are? Let them celebrate the death of this piece of shit. How do you know that those kids parents weren't in the Towers as they collapsed, or that their mom or dad wasn't one of the brave soldiers overseas fighting terrorism. Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed....
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 8:48 AM on May. 2, 2011

• In a way. Not a major way but it does remind me of the same thing that happens in the middle east when something they do in the middle east. I think it isn't really that so much as it's just that I'm glad he is gone for the people who were killed and for the families left behind. It's not going to change anything else. The threat is not over but will get worse.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:03 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I was 15 when the Towers fell
    So effing what?! I don't understand why that would matter. Was I immune to the devastation? Do I not have the right to celebrate the fall of our country's most hated enemy? No, i'm not out drunk but still... what does age hve to do with anything?
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:54 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I don't see how their age at the time the towers were hit and fell has anything to do with them celebrating. How do you know they didn't lose a family member? I think they are genuinely happy about it and felt the need to celebrate. Even if they were drinking, what does it matter? Is that not what a lot of people do when they celebrate?

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:20 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Bin Laden claimed responsibility for 9/11 -- so I AM happy about his death. I would be in the streets celebrating too but I have to get ready to babysit my granddaughter at 9AM
    Get with it people---one of the most evil guys in the world is dead. DOn't feel sorry about THAT!!!!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:22 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I have seen celebration that comes from relief of parents coming home, pride in troops and country, or realized anger at justice.

I am referring to the more common footage of young people performing for the camera. There is a huge difference.
    KateDinVA

Comment by KateDinVA (original poster) at 8:59 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Btw, I haven't experienced any of that here.....I only saw the coverage last night for Pennsylvania Ave. and Times Square.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:22 AM on May. 2, 2011

• no, it does not. we equate OBL to Hitler. do you think there wasn't rejoicing in the streets on that 'home turf' after his death? anytime justice is done, there is celebration, especially when such heinous acts of violence have taken place. so some are 'partying' as a result, big deal. i'm glad someone on the FBI's MW list has been bumped up! its all good!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:27 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I was 13 on 9/11. I still remember where I was...who cares about age? I know a lot of older people who do a HELL of a lot more partying than my generation...
    GothicChk52

Answer by GothicChk52 at 9:43 AM on May. 2, 2011