Is this fair?

If you had a tween or teen kid who you just found out got 3 F's on the last 3 papers due in Language Arts would you make then miss a festivity this afternoon after school in a Reading Club?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Yep, life can't be all fun and games..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:03 AM on May. 2, 2011

• If that were my kid they would be missing allot more than reading club. 3 F's? Damn!! No TV, No going out, No video games, No computer, No IPod, No stero No phone, No friends.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:05 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I don't know. If this is the first sign of trouble, I would want to know about recent happenings in the family and/or in the life of the child. Why the sudden turn-around? If it's due to some kind of trauma, then I might consider letting her go so as not to further add to her distress. The first question to be answered is "Why the failing grades?" Then you go from there. I would not just assume laziness or bad attitude until I knew more.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:06 AM on May. 2, 2011

• yes, ESPECIALLY if she was really looking forward to it. Take rights away until she gets her grades up......F's are not acceptable EVER!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:08 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I agree with NannyB. It would depend on the circumstances. My grades fell when my dad was admitted into the hospital after he had a horrible accident that pretty much left him broken and barely alive. I was more concerned over my father than my grades at that time.

But if there's nothing tragic or there's "no reason" for this sudden falling of grades, you damn well bet there's going to be punishment like what vbruno said.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:12 AM on May. 2, 2011

• no, no trauma. We go through this periodically. She sluffs off and doesn't do her part. She claims that the computer deleted her material then we said did you tell a teacher? She says yes, but if she did why didn't she get it done then. And not just 1 F it was 2 others in that class. She is a straight A student excluding 1 B now the A (it's a C). She claims she doesn't have any study halls now since she has Spanish taking up those time slots, but she needs to make adjustments and do her work at other times.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:12 AM on May. 2, 2011

• No, because it is with a reading club. If it was a get together of friends at the mall or something, then yes. I would have a talk with the teacher to get to the bottom of the problem with the papers, get some tutoring help, maybe, and/or show the child how to write a good paper. No anger just guidance to get through this challenge. gl
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:13 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I would think not. Reading Club sounds academic. If her grades are failing why would you want to keep her from a group that could help her grades?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:16 AM on May. 2, 2011

• No. She is failing Language arts and this is for a reading group which relates to the subject in question. She WOULD be punished, most likely grounded from all nonacademic activities until her grades improved, but this would be allowed.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:18 AM on May. 2, 2011

• No, I probably wouldn't allow it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:25 AM on May. 2, 2011