My sisters have lice. AGAIN.

Year before last, my sisters brought home a case of headlice that we fought tooth and nail to get rid of! After 5mos of fighting with it, I cut the girls' hair myself, since it's against health codes for a stylist to, and we didn't know one well enough to ask.

Last year, they had a short bout of it for about 2wks. We caught it right away.

This morning, I wake up, my little dog is on the bed (she is not allowed up there!) And I notice something black crawling on my blanket. I'm about to be upset at my neighbor, his dogs have fleas really bad, and come into my yard regularly. Our dogs DON'T have fleas. A closer look with my eyes on, it is a louse! A male, so I'm no scrambling yet, haven't found any eggs. But Dh doesn't know what he's looking for.

Soooo, I have to figure out a way to get the girls' hair clean, because my dad doesn't know what he's doing, and my mom isn't patient enough to nit-pick.

Anyone else fighting THIS war?

matobe

Asked by matobe at 9:08 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Health

• lice can travel on animals too. If you don't already give it to him, try the new advantix...which also kills lice...not only fleas & ticks.

Have you found lice on the girls hair yet, or just on your bed? I have heard that they are becoming resistant to RID. If the RID does not work, put some tea tree oil in your shampoo & wash daily. They HATE tea tree oil & won't breath it in..so they'll either die or leave the head. If you keep tea tree oil in your shampoo regularly, you'll never get lice.

I put a few drops in all our shampoo bottles & i have not had to deal with lice since my dd had it when she was 4 years old. She only had it one time, the RID did work...but afterwords i made sure to keep the tea tree oil in my shampoo. It's not bad for your hair either & also protects from dandruff...lol....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:13 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I've heard about the wonders of tea tree oil, and putting hair into braids. There was a huge break out of lice in the 2nd grade one year and all the girls in the school started to wear braids as a precaution.

Good luck!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:16 AM on May. 2, 2011

• this might sounds REALLY dumb.. my SIL just uses mayo and a shower cap.. then combs it out with a fine comb. it doesn't damage the hair but works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Nits must be removed or they will hatch and start the cycle over again.
    Bedding must be washed in very hot water, I even used a spray from RID that I sprayed all couches, chairs, etc.
    It's not just the hair that needs to be cleaned. Brushes, combs, curling irons etc.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:23 AM on May. 2, 2011

• It's the girl sitting next to her in class and her 7 siblings, they live down the street, and get sent home every other week when the nurse checks them again! We tried everything! Even the prescription treatment! We found cutting it short and using hair dye works like a charm. My sisters are at school, so we will be calling the school to check, and rearrange class seating chart. This is the third year in a row she's sat next to that girl in class.(school has gone to alphabetical seating arrangements.)
    matobe

Comment by matobe (original poster) at 9:39 AM on May. 2, 2011