Can an employer demand to know when your last day of work is?

Am I obligated to tell them any more than 2 weeks ahead of time?

EDIT:  I AM going to tell them. I already planned on telling them today. I WILL be telling them today. I KNOW they need to know as soon as possible and want to know. I get ALL of that. 

What I really am asking is...if there is no policy in place, can they demand to know now and do you think it is a bit rude considering that June 18th is the wedding date and I won't even quit until the end of May. That is my question. There is really not much to learn and be trained for in my job. Really...it's easy. 

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 9:45 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• depends on their policy
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:46 AM on May. 2, 2011

• No more than an employer is obligated to give you a good reference. If it's a bridge you don't want to burn, I would say that giving them 2 weeks & a firm date gives them a chance to find a replacement.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 9:48 AM on May. 2, 2011

• There is no policy about it... I work for two independent lawyers. there is no rule list or handbook. They just know that I am getting married and moving, but, I only recently decided on what day I am leaving and they sent me an office e-mail demanding to know when my last day is and that I have to let them know by tomorrow.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 9:48 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I had to give 4 weeks so in my letter I had the last date of employment included.. Check with HR or your employee handbook.. That info should be in there if your employer has a policy on it..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:48 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Last day of work in regard to what? Maternity leave - whenever my water breaks baby! Looking for a new job and they know it for some crazy reason - 2 weeks. Retirement - I think they like to know more than 2 weeks in advance if they will be providing continuing benefits. 

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:48 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I still have 20 days before I plan on leaving..
    BradenIsMySon

• There is NO HR department or handbook. I will be moving.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 9:49 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I can definitely see their side on this. They need to replace you and probably hope to have someone in so you can train before you leave. However, they can't get someone else in too soon because then they might be paying two salaries for much longer than they can.

I would just do your best to pinpoint a date and give it to them. I'd definitely put it in writing that this is not a date written in stone and that you are only giving it because of their insistence.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:51 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Give them that date.. When I left one of my employers, I knew months in advance so I told them. They did not have an issue or boot me out sooner. It gave them the info needed to find the right person to replace me and gave me time to train them before I left..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:52 AM on May. 2, 2011

• If you only recently decided I would treat it like "It looks like it is going to be either date X or date Y. I will let you know when things are firm."

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:52 AM on May. 2, 2011