What to do about toddler being mean to puppy????

My 2 1/2 year old is mean to our new puppy. She will pick her up and throw her or kick at her. Sometimes she will try to pull her legs apart like you would a wishbone. We have been trying to reinforce the right way for her to play with the puppy, telling her to give it sweet, soft pets and showing her how. She will do really good for a while and then as soon as whoever is watching them looks away or has to go answer the phone or something then she will start over with the mean stuff. I don't want to have to get rid of the puppy and I don't like having to constantly scold my child either. Any advice??

Kelly502

Asked by Kelly502 at 9:49 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do a lot of role playing and see if that helps. Make sure she is getting enough positive attention from you and your SO too. Sometimes they go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. just ideas.................
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:55 AM on May. 2, 2011

• little kids and pets don't work out too well- I don't think the kids "get" it...

Even with fish...my daughter thought her fish needed a bath so she put soap in the tank...so fish aren't even safe!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:54 AM on May. 2, 2011

• You know what, I think you little one isn't ready for a puppy, I know you don't want to get rid of the dog, but your going to stress yourself, the dog and the kiddo out,, I would find the puppy a new home, this kind of treatment (even though unintentional) can make a dog mean, and you get an adult dog, who might be prone to biting.. good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:55 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Oh there would be hell to pay in my house. Ther would be no scolding, but punishment. And if you have to rehome the pup, please do. It would be very sad to see a dog have to be put down because he hates children, and that's what would happen
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:55 AM on May. 2, 2011

• If things don't improve within the next couple of weeks then I will definately have to find a good home for her. I would hate it but, you all are right that it isn't worth the problems it could potentially cause. Thanks for the advice.
    Kelly502

Comment by Kelly502 (original poster) at 9:59 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Put the dog's shock collar on the toddler. That'll learn him.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 9:50 AM on May. 2, 2011