What do you think?

I swaddle my baby at night and I found he sleeps better if I do, all night as a matter of fact, Its not so tight that he cant move and I know he can breath fine. But then I read on here that some think its not good and that Im setting him up to not sleep as well later on when I cant swaddle him anymore is there a good way to gradually stop swaddling I enjoy my rest and so does he hate to just quit. But im looking at the future.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you should teach your kids to be able to sleep different ways.I taught mine to sleep through queit,noise,swaddled and not.....if you do that then they can sleep anyway they need and want to.

But this is your baby and whatever YOU think is best.And you need rest too so that you can take care of him so whatever works best for you and the baby.Everyone is different.;)
    tomsbrandi

Answer by tomsbrandi at 11:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I swaddled my dd until she was about 2 months. Then I just let her sleep the way she wanted. She has been sleeping all night since 2 months. I have no schedule for her and she is the happiest baby
    MeeShee

Answer by MeeShee at 11:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I had a daughter who liked to fall asleep in her car seat. And I let her. It took me til she was 18mos to get her to break that habit. This was even after she had graduated to the toddler car seat. The infant one would sit in the living room and she would sit in it with an afgan and fall asleep. With her feet touching the floor and head barely supported. It was kinda funny to watch! Eventually, I would wait until she was almost asleep (when she couldn't complain too much) and pick her up and put her in her bed. By this time she was too tired to fight sleep. I did this for about a week and finally started sleeping in her bed.

clutterbug2008

Answer by clutterbug2008 at 11:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• IMHO, I don't think the swaddling is such an issue. They will shed the blankets when they are ready. He may have an attachment to a special "blanky" though. That's not a big deal at this time though. I do agree with pp about noises and quiet! If they are use to it; it makes transitions of any kind easier!

PS Just a thought - Who wouldn't like to be swaddled and cuddled? Even now? I love my blankies!!! LOL!
    clutterbug2008

• I don't think it's a problem to swaddle.... we swaddle our almost 5 month old because his arms wake him up if we don't. He also sleeps in a thing called a woombie so his arms stay put or he gets them out and we are awake everyhour wrapping him back up. I don't think it will be a problem down the road... he will eventually be a better sleeper and we can stop swaddling. I think there are worse sleep habits to have then being all snug.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:44 AM on Dec. 4, 2008